Hyposalinity treat in display tank...

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by TMartinez, Oct 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

So my tank has developed a mild case of marine Ick. I believe a coral beauty i bout a week and a half ago brought it in. I moved the tank this past Thursday and Saturday night I noticed it on my blue tang. Well the coral beauty dies last night and while my other inhabitants seem OK, the blue tang still itches and has small spots.

My coral selection is slim because this was an upgrade from a 30g. I only have a handful of frags and I have a buddy who happened to have a 5g that has been sitting for a while. It was setup and he never broke it down (he got my 30g as a upgrade), so I assume there should be some BB left in there.

Can I pull out my coral from my dt, put them in the 5g and do a hyposalinity treatment in the dt? Will it affect inverts, as I have a coral banded and 3 peppermints. Can i leave them , and my cleaners, in the dt during the treatment? How long would I have to treat the tank?

Its not feasible for me to setup a large hospital tank so this seems like it would work. Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

4. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

alright awesome. Next question. Do you drop salinity slowly (if so how) or suddenly? I'll pull out all my shrimps, coral, crabs and etc and get them in the 5g tonight. Hopefully I can head this off before I lose anything else.

5. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

As already mentioned, you don't take anything out of the tank but the fish.
    You put the fish in a hospital tank and treat there.

6. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

yea.. it wont work because live rock... so all well.