hypo salinity w/ live rock ?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Tanked001, Jun 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tanked001

Tanked001 Astrea Snail

First I'll start with... I should have know better then to get a fish from petco and not QT it... anyhow

I recently started up a 75 gal FOWLR
    Mostly DIY rock
    Live Rock (taken from my reef tank)
    Live sand
    Wet dry W/LR rubble
    5 engineer gobys (no signs of ick)
    1 humo trigger (has it lightly)
    1 porky pine puffer (ick just showed up but looks bad)
    1 kole tang (He's the one that infected the tank, has it lightly tho)
    1 damsel (has it lightly)

I removed all the inverts (star fishes, crabs...)

I want to run hypo salinity but I have read, not to expose live rock or live sand to hypo is that only because it will kill off almost everything on/in the LR/LS?

If that is the case and I decide to run hypo to combat ick, after the 6 weeks couldn't I simply seed the LR/LS by taking samples from my reef tank?

Also, what precautions should I take while running hypo if the good bacteria in the LR/LS should die off (or can it?).... Carbon... weekly water changes... ?

Thanks an advance for any info!

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What are you lowering the S/G for maybe a brackish water system ?

4. Tanked001

Tanked001 Astrea Snail

naw.. because of ick

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Water changes combined with fresh water dips and a uv sterilizer?? Sounds like what you need to me....anyone..correct me if I'm wrong!

Linda

6. Tanked001

Tanked001 Astrea Snail

Cool... I've been running a 25 wat UV sterilizer the whole time.
    I'm gonna pass on the fresh water dips tho. I've read more bad things then good about it... and I think hypo would have the same effect. There eating good for now so I don't want to stress them anymore then I have too.

As far as water changes I'm going for 25% once a week

Thanks for your input!!

7. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Hypo sal

I've done it twice to get rid of ick with just live rock and fish in the tank
    and it has worked great both times.I would also do the fresh water dip also to kill off any ick that is on them.as far as the live rock I didn't have any problem with it coming back as long as there are no inverts or coral on it.
    it took about two weeks with the salt at 1.013 and the ick cleared up on the fish although they say to keep it that low for about 4 weeks to be safe.

hope this helps.
    also here is a link that has good info on it and other things.
    About Saltwater Aquariums - Reef Tanks

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. Tanked001

Tanked001 Astrea Snail

I'm at 1.018 now, I'll drop it to 1.013 by late tonight and start the count down...

Thanks for the info!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Good LUCK!!!!!!! Karma to ya' in hopes of a speedy ICH recovery!

11. Tanked001

Tanked001 Astrea Snail

I'm now ick free....

This is what I ended up doing after seeing the ick get worse while slowly droping the salinity.

First I set up a 30gal QT w/ a canister filter (no carbon just floss and ceramic), air stone and medicated with copper. No inverts, No sand and no Live rock... just fake ornaments and some pvc pieces.
    Out of 5 engineer gobys, 1 demsel, 1 puffer, 1 tang and a trigger I lost the puffer and tang... both did have ick really bad.

I emptyed the 75 gal and dried out the whole system for 1 week the refilled it and cycled it for 2 weeks. I did kick start it like I did before with 20 gals of water and a sand sample from my reef tank. I just put back the fish yesterday and all is doing well...

Now I learned hard way (again) QT your fish!! Now I'm going to leave the QT running I'm going to give it a good cleaning and a water change with a dose of copper and all my new fish will live there First.