Hypermelanism and loss of appetite?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jlongwell, May 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

First, a little background. I've had a pair of false percs for about a year and a half now. About a year ago, I added a BTA. Neither fish took so much as a sideways glance at the anemone, and just continued to huddle in their little corner. I didn't worry much about it, and just let them do their thing, figuring they would warn up to it when they were ready. Everything was honky-dory...until about two weeks ago, when I woke up to find the smaller of the two on my living room floor.

Long story short, my girlfriend insisted on a little fishy funeral, then proceeded to whine about how lonely "nemo" (his real name is Clyde, but they convincing HER of that...) looked. Anyway, we went out the next day and picked up a black false perc, acclimated him and added him to the tank. After a few tense minutes of "nemo" (Clyde) showing Inky whose boss, the two seemed to take to each other fairly well (in fact, they're quite inseparable).

Fast forward to last Thursday - I'm pretty excited, as I woke to find Inky swimming happily amidst my anemone. I could see Clyde's apprehension, as he would swim up to the tip if the tentacles, barely touch them, then swim off. I took this for acclamation, since he had never touched an anemone before. My suspicion was reinforced by the appearance of a dark spot on his side, which I assume is hypermelanism brought on by a sting.

Later, I'm doing the first feeding of the day and notice that Clyde is looking rather tired, lounging near the sandbed and breathing a little heavier than normal (not by much, if any, but it seemed heavier to me). He didn't show much interest in the food - if he even went for it it was a half-assed attempt that missed. As of today, I haven't seen him eat a single thing since Thursday. I've tried frozen brine shrimp, PE mysis, Prime Reef, Rods food and Hikari Marine S pellets - all of which he usually devours.

Going on day 5, I'm starting to get pretty worried. The only outward issue I see, is the (presumed) hypermelanism. It has not gotten any worse, but it hasn't gotten any better (he still hasn't taken to the anemone, either). Could this be enough of a stressor to kill his appetite? Or should I be looking at other causes, like internal parasites and the like?

Every other fish is behaving and eating normally. Clyde however, has been behaving the same since Thursday.

2. Click Here!

3. bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976 Banned

That is completely wierd, I thought all clownfish were amune to the sting of a anemone. Also with my pair only the female goes into the anemone and the male swims around protecting her and it.