Hydroponic ballast for halides?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by MacnReef, Mar 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Hello all. A few years ago I tried metal halides. 2-175W 10k bulbs plus a NO actinic on my 65. I used two hydroponic light ballast and for some reason I could look directly at the bulbs and it they did not seem very bright. I mean in all reality it looked like the tank was light by 3-NO actinics. Was it because of the ballast?

The reason I ask is because looked at a 10K 175W at my lFS and it was so bright I could not look directly at the bulb. The bulbs were used for like two weeks then put in storage. I was planning on using one on my 20H but before I buy a ballast and reflector and fans, is it just the bulb. It is a 175W 10K blueline bulb.

Let me know!

BTW, I ran a 250W 14K on my 10g and it was EXTREMELY bright. Either it is the bulb or the ballast!

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ballasts play a big part from everything I have heard an seen. You know what? I just remembered there is a sweet link in the 'links library' section that breaks down bulbs and ballasts. Check it out! :)

4. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

WOW, that has some great info...