Hydrometer

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jturnbull, Jun 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

2. Click Here!

3. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

I have used one for years with no problems in fact i have 3 of them and check them against one another but a refractometer is more accurate.

4. dugaldb

dugaldb Plankton

I've had no problem with mine. It's a very economical product.

5. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

A properly calibrated refractometer is going to be more accurate across a broad range of conditions period. A hydrometer will change readings based on temp, condition, salt buildup, ect.
    I understand that there are many places to save money in this hobby, but as far as I am concerned with a refractometer easily available for $40 or less there is *no* reason to not pick one up.

6. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

the key words

7. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

a hydrometer displays both salinity and specific gravity. they say they do not need correction for temperature as the plastic that the pointer is made from is designed to change its density with temperature at the same rate as seawater but a refractometer is also more accurate....."properly calibrated"

8. Click Here!

9. madlarkin

The same goes for a hydrometer. The difference is once you have established a baseline the accuracy is going to be worlds and away different. In my experience hydrometers tend to average .003-.005 below what they should.
    Calibrating a refractometer is a simple matter of a test solution where as a hydro you have zero clue what cleanliness and salt buildup is actually doing.

10. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I let the store spend the big bucks and use the cheap plastic one. I check mine against theres and its a few below. But it doesnt need to be calibrated either. makes sense to me. haha

11. madlarkin

If its a few below and is known to be inaccurate what does testing with it accomplish?

12. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

ill always know im just 3 below where im suppose to be long as i keep it clean doe :)