Hydrogen Sulfide in Live Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by WhiskyTango, Aug 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I am curing some LR in a bucket in my garage as I'm waiting for the Fusion 20 to ship. Some parts of the rock have a deep grey color that looks exactly like HS buildup with a strong smell of stinky eggs.

My question is this, will this stuff ever be safe to use after a cycle, or is the HS just going to continually leech out possibly killing my tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Personally, I wouldn't use them. HS can definitely build up in LR, usually starting in the anaerobic region deep inside. If it's out to the point where you can see and smell it, you most likely will never get them clean.

4. WhiskyTango

Today there is a white slime coating over the bad spots, so hopefully bacteria are consuming the nasties which hopefully will make these rocks useable in 6 weeks for so.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Are you aerating the bucket?? When Barrier gets in the Haitii rock it smells for days but eventually nature will take its course provided the water is heavily aerated.If this is not an option you may want to consider letting it dry out and starting over.(either way you will have some nutrients trapped in the rock but we know how to fix that.lol)

6. WhiskyTango

I think I am going to let it dry out completely, and cherry pick a few pieces as base fill in in a few months.