Hydrogen peroxide dosing

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DrewSk, Jan 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

So I have been fighting Dino's for about a month now, and just finished my second 4 day lights out cycle. I have posted the ph, raised my Alk to 10, and performed many water changes/Dino siphons. I have been thinking about starting hydrogen peroxide dosing, but before I did I wanted to clarify a few things. I have been doing some reading here and a few other sources, and have always seen that 1ml per 10 gallons is the recommended dose. Should I dose based off the volume my tank can hold (38 gal) or what the actual water volume is after displacement (probably around 30 gal)? Has anyone ever had any bad experiences with hydrogen peroxide dosing?

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Drew after reading you thread decided to peak around (always good to learn) and what I was seeing is that water changes not really suggested as it can replenish what Dino feeds off of. However they did say target siphon of sand bed can be beneficial(a little contradiction) and would want to be careful of disturbing to much.

What do you have in your tank for fish and corals?

I have used hydrogen Peroxide 3% (3% is part of name) in fresh water tank for black algae before and worked wonders only losing a couple fish and some slight damage to live plant tips but killed the black algae. With that being said you you should base it on actual volume and from what I saw it said 1mil per 10gal.

However there was also mention of MicroBacter7 which will feed on the same nutrients as the Dino which will then cause the dino to starve.

I have not run into this issue myself so not speaking from experience and hopefully others can add personal experience and resolution.

4. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I just recovered a week ago from a Dino outbreak that lasted a month. My trick that I followed other members from here worked. two 4 day sessions of lights out. NO WATER CHANGES lol. It sounds silly, but I was doing them and it was causing more harm than good. Double your dose of carbon that you use and strip the water of phosphates. I used phosguard rinsed really good to do that. Every other day I ran a siphon tube from my tank to the sump into a filter sock to remove and pluck out Dino in the display. Peroxide sounds promising but it's almost like throwing bleach in the water and a little mistake can ruin everything.

5. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

The water changes were to suck out the Dino, I don't have a sump so siphoning into a filter sock wouldn't have worked too well! I have been considering running phosguard, but my entire setup is hob at the moment so I don't have a lot of ways to add media/increase carbon.

6. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

instead of siphoning you can loosen the stuff and catch as much with a net. phosguard is good except you have to be on top of replacing it every 2-3 days since it absorbs and has the potential to release back into the water those phosphates.

7. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

So another question, should I dose my tank with peroxide daily till the Dino's disappear, or weekly?

8. Click Here!

9. KcLive

KcLive Plankton

I too am battling dinos and running everything as a HOB setup since I don't have a sump right now. I am still trying to figure out what caused my issue. I didn't have a problem until I started running a new LED setup. I am on day 3 of a 4 day total blackout. Tomorrow I will siphon out the remaining junk off of the sand bed and depending on what it looks like I will do another 4 day blackout. I have been running my skimmer wet, and using carbon as well and so far am having good results. I am not sure about dosing with peroxide. Good luck if you do, listen to some of the others here as they have a lot of great advice and experience. Hope your tank clears up for you.

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Drew from what I see on other forums looks like it was an everyday dose( 7 to 8 days) and also some were doing blackouts for 4 of the days during the treatment.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you.

11. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

Thanks Chris! Sorry, just realized that I never answered your original question. I have a pair of clowns, a fire fish and a candy hog for fish, and a fire shrimp. I've got a couple hammers, a frogspawn, purple monti cap, photo synthetic gorgs, zoas, sun coral, Aussie lobo, a massive chalice, Duncan's, a leather, some gsp, and war coral, alevopora, and acans. I also just got my first acro frag, which just started encrusting!

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

damn sounds like quite a collection of corals and fish. Everything I read people have had good success with the h202 treatment. Like anything results may vary and just be diligent in your observation during dosing to catch anything going wrong.

Hopefully we can get some shots of the tank when you get rid off the dino