Hydor Performer Protein Skimmer 2005 Insight

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Reef4life, Oct 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Hi Guys,

I had a quick question, I was thinking of upgrading my skimmer and I was leaning towards the Hydor Performer Protein Skimmer 2005 I was wondering if anyone had any feedback or heard any reviews about it?
    If not any suggestion is always appreciated thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have the 705 model of that skimmer. I can't say anything bad about it. It makes some pretty good foam and holds it's adjustment. Only thing I can suggest is that when you make an adjustment on it, make very small increments and wait about an hour between adjusting. This skimmer sort of "builds up" to it's adjustment. I learned the hard way and overflowing it by adjusting it too quick. It's also a fairly quiet skimmer. I feed it through my accessory manifold that my return pump powers. I also have it sitting in the sump currently because I'm away from home a lot and in case I don't catch to empty the cup in time it can't leak out. Just keep in mind if you are going to have it externally mounted, the out pipe is not that long and it's a metric size. The closest you will get to is a 1" PVC and to make it fit you have to wrap some teflon or silicone tape and make an interference fit with a coupling. I did this before when I had it externally mounted and it never leaked.