Hydor Koralia Aquarium Circulation Pumps

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by omard, May 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Am trying to make a purchase decision and hopeing someone here that uses/have used can assist in making it.

I want to get some more flow into my 125 gallon. I like the looks and reported
    operation of the Hydor Koralia pumps...

But cannot decide between getting two #2 pumps or one
    #4 pump.

I don't plan on putting on switching timer.

Both $ and power consumption wise, for same amount of flow, the single #4 makes more sense (I am thinking...[​IMG])

Any suggestions??? (and if less $ elswhere)

Hydor Koralia 2 Aquarium Circulation Pump
    * Flow Rate: 600 GPH
    * Power Absorbed: 9 W
    * 115 V 60 Hz
    $27.99

Hydor Koralia 4 Aquarium Circulation Pump
    * Flow Rate: 1200 GPH
    * Power Absorbed: 12 W
    * 115 V 60 Hz
    $33.99

While at it think I am going to get the Nano model also from same seller (mtndewman1) wonder, is this the same "mtndewman" that used to post here long ago?

What would you think best choice for 12 gallon NanoCube?

Hydor Koralia 1 Aquarium Circulation Pump
    * Flow Rate: 400 GPH
    * Power Absorbed: 3.5 W
    * 115 V 60 Hz
    $19.99

or

Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump

* Flow Rate: 240 GPH
    * Power Absorbed: 3.5 W
    * 115 V 60 Hz
    $17.99

Am thinking "size" may be significant issue here. The #1 sounds like too much flow for nano...[​IMG]

Any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

:confused:

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I suppose it depends on what you have in the tank at the moment. If you want the flow to reach further across your tank then the 4's are the way to go. I've got two Koralia 3's in my tank (80g) and really I would of preferred to go for some 4's instead.

I would go for the nano for your 12g. They are small and if you need more flow then get another one. :)

4. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

I heard alot of good thing about these, so I got the #2, but to be honest I don't really like it. when it works it's great. I've only had it about 2 months, but it seems I have to clean it every week or it stops running. About 4 different times I've woken up to go to work and it's just stopped. I take it out clean it real good and it works for about a week before it stops and I have to clean it again. Maybe mine's defective. If not, too much maintanance.

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I've had the nano in my nano for about 5 weeks and it just died this weekend, I'm going to buy a small maxijet to replace it I guess

6. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

I have the #3 and #4 in my tank a few months now and have had no problems. I haven't even had to clean them. I do wish that I had got 2 #4's though. Even when the electric goes out or flickers they start back up with no problem. What a differnce they made in my tank.

7. Calawah

Calawah Astrea Snail

I have had a koralia 2 running in my tank for about 6 weeks now with no problems. I also have a tunze nanostream 6025, which I like better. It produces ALOT more flow and it takes up less space.

8. Click Here!

9. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I have 2x Koralia-2's and 1x Koralia-3 running in my 72 and I love them. I think you'd be fine with the K-4 over the 2x K-2's, but you have to remember with the 2 K-2's you have more flexibility to direct flow. Just something to consider.

10. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

i have 3 of these pumps, 2 #2's and one #4, and they rock. Lots of flow, never any problems from mine.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

12. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

i tried the nano koralia in my little tank - and it was rubbish! deffo go with the k-1 for the nano tank