Humu Huma Trigger says not reef safe?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by leighton1245, Jan 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

So im trying to get my GF interested in my hobbie and this is one of the fish she liked but it says its not reef safe, just wondering if anyone has had luck keeping one of these without it eating everything?[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I don't know about huma humas in particular, but my LFS has another trigger (crosshatch maybe?) in their display reef tank. Sometimes, "reef safe" is taken to mean "crustacean compatible". They can't put a shrimp or crab in, or it'll get eaten, but the trigger they have won't touch corals.

4. leighton1245

nice that is good to know i have some emrald crabs in there so they might get eaten but they are fighters lol

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I would check that with someone who knows much more about a huma huma than I before you buy it...

6. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I personally have a HumaHuma in my reef tank. It's been in there for a year and has never touched a coral. I think when they say "not reef safe" they really mean, not crustacean safe.

However, it destroys snails. The only snails that have a chance are mexican turbos and he gets them sometimes. The dwarf ceriths he sometimes doesn't mess with because they are so small, but if he's too hungry he will go after those too.

I have never seen the fish touch a hermit crab or any of my cleaner shimp, and peppermint shrimp. I have safely had two cleaner shrimp and 2 peppermint shrimp in with my humahuma for over a year. This is VERY unusual and possibly when the Huma gets bigger it will go after the shrimp, but as of now it hasn't. I have no idea why. Each fish will have it's own tendencies. So what my fish does and doesn't do may not be the same thing your fish does. I am by no means saying your HumaHuma won't eat shrimp.

7. leighton1245

Thank you that deff helps.