HQI Replacement Bulbs

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by superclouds, Mar 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. superclouds

superclouds Flamingo Tongue

So a few months ago I got this, 48" 760W Metal Halide System (Electronic Version) - 504023 and ended up replacing both MH ballasts with IceCap 250 Watt Electronic Metal Halide/ HQI Ballast (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Lighting > Accessories > Ballasts > Metal Halide > 250 Watt > Electronic ).

Now I want to replace the MH bulbs as they look yellow and I dont think my corals are doing as well as they should be. What should I get for a rating and what are some good brand names? I have mixed LPS and SPS and i'm leaning more towards SPS as time goes on. I want things to grow fast and have good color. Any opinions are welcome please.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The K-rating of the bulb is a personal preference(imo) I like the 14000k bulb myself, not to white or blue, in the middle. There are alot of good names out there, again thats a personal preference, but here are some; Agualine, Hamilton, Ocean, Icecap(only seen 400w), Current, Ushio, XM, SPS(tangster sells these) to name a few. Luna

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

Reef Specialty

reeflux bulbs are the best ive used so far the par ratings are higher than most with a color range that suits the corals, i use 12k

5. superclouds

superclouds Flamingo Tongue