HQI - 70W or 150W for BioCube 29

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Orion7_11, Sep 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Orion7_11

Orion7_11 Plankton

Ok I've been researching around and I want to upgrade my lights.

I have a 29g biocube.. it's 20" deep and I have 2 36w PC's one 10k and one actinic.

I plan on installing the MH in the existing hood and then using the two pc's for actinics. I don't want to go open top and I already have a chiller so I'm not too worried about the additional heat.

Is their a correlation on depth penetration in water to watts? Would a 70W HQI be enough to thoroughly do the job?

OR....

Should I just go with two more 36W Compacts?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I had a 70w on a 20 long and it was just enough.
    I would go with the 150w on a 20" deep 29g.

4. Orion7_11

Orion7_11 Plankton

Ahh thanks Matt. i just found your same answer to Cloob about his BC29...

I'm going to go with the 150w.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. 8)
    Good luck!
    Post pics later. :)

6. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

I would love to see your progress in pictures here on this site, I have a 29 too and will at some point upgrade.

I have seen an upgrade before with the MH go in between the PC's (covering the moon lights) Good luck!

With the 70W from the MH and two 36W antinic lights would be much improvement of light... despite the depth. The light does degrade in PAR readings with more depth... but thethe MH light spectrum covers more color temps than the PCs (just be carful of the hood with the 150 bulb, I've seen projects online get way to hot for the plastic)

here is a pic that shows the slopes of PAR reading to depth.

keep us posted

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. Orion7_11

Orion7_11 Plankton

Thanks and will do...

I plan on starting a "journal" thread this weekend. I have a few mods to do and then will post more pictures of everything.

I have a few business trips over the next week or two so I won't get around to changing the lights until after.

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Just be sure to acclimate your new lighting. Depending on corals you have existing, the additional lighting may be too much at once. The new lights may start an algae bloom. I'd go with the 150w 14k.

1 person likes this.
  10. Orion7_11

Orion7_11 Plankton

Thanks for the tip....I'm actually doing this all pre-stock so nothing other than some snails are in my tank at the moment.

I want to be sure i have everything right or the best it can be before I stock it... rather than get into it and something dies... or I find out I can't have "_____" because your lighting is too weak etc...

I like the way the 14k brings out the colors. I was comparing pics of the same tank with a 10 versus 14 and you could tell a difference...

Any recommendation on bulb brand?

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I picked up 2 sps blue life bulbs from tangster. Very happy with them.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I would go with a 250w. Im probally going to set up a 20T with a 250w, going to run it with just water to see if its going to have heat issues first though.