Howdy from Texas

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by trentjones10, Jun 16, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trentjones10

trentjones10 Plankton

Glad I found this site, this looks like the place to go for any questions about reef tanks. I plan to get a biocube 29 in the coming weeks, but I plan to do plenty of research before then. Glad I'll have a place to get some questions answered. My goal is to get a simple saltwater tank with some beautiful corals and a few clownfish to start off. Hope that's not asking too much for a beginner.

2. Click Here!

3. insanereefer420

insanereefer420 Fire Worm

Sounds like a good plan. You can always go with easy soft coral to start. Good luck. What part of texas?

4. trentjones10

trentjones10 Plankton

5. BorqueReef

BorqueReef Astrea Snail

Welcome. Just take it slow. This isn't a hobby of fast results, patience is your best friend. Good luck!

6. trentjones10

trentjones10 Plankton

So I with me living in Houston, it gets very warm, we keep our AC during the day at around 74-75 and down to about 68-69 at night, I have read many reports that the stock lighting on Biocubes run rather warm. I am wondering if I should budget for a chiller and heater or what system would be best to help maintain a consent temperature in the tank. I will post a list when I get home of what I plan to purchase in the next few weeks to get my tank set up and running. I would like this system to be a little maintance as possible such as an ATO unit, light timers, etc. So any extra cost I don't mind to adding to the budget. But I am a little confused as to some upgrades are really meant for.

7. Graffiti Reef

Graffiti Reef Plankton

Yeah biocubes do run a little warm, you could upgrade lighting to led's which will cut down on heat quite a bit.

8. Click Here!

9. insanereefer420

I live in the dallas area and i just have a heater. The way ur doing your ac i dont think it would affect the temp that much. My tabks running at 78 and we keep our house at a constant 70.

10. trentjones10

trentjones10 Plankton

I will definitely be keeping a log of the temp during the cycling process and that would give me an idea as what the day to day temp will be for the tank.

11. insanereefer420

I dont see a chiller being needed unless yiu have high temps in the house. Even jn the wonter jere with temp set at 75 and its the heater going the tank didnt rise in temp. Think about it this way if your temp in the room is at 70 is like a giant cooler around the tank at 78. Not going to affect the temp much unless its a major difference. When my gas leaked and i couldnt use my heater it got down to 61 in my house and the tank never dropped in temp.

12. trentjones10

trentjones10 Plankton

Well I guess a concern of mine wish how much heat the lighting unit would produce and if that was going to be too warm to offset the cooling temp in my house.