How Would You Stock A 120 Gallon

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by AdamS, Mar 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AdamS

AdamS Coral Banded Shrimp

well i ask the same thing again and again because i dont feel like im getting a straight forward answer on what will and wont work. I am new and dont want to make a huge mistake on anything so thats why i keep asking.

2. Click Here!

3. Estee

Estee Bristle Worm

Glad you recognize that you are new. I would concentrate most of your efforts on the tank first to build the best environment for whatever livestock you want. Again, it might be better for you to go with some Chromies or Damsels for now, until you feel much more comfortable with the care and upkeep necessary. It will save you much $$$ and hassles, as well as save these delicate creatures from harm in the long run. Good luck.

4. AdamS

ya i know what you mean and thats why im starting with a predator tank because the fish are more hardy and i dont have experience with coral or the money to support it.

5. Estee

Estee Bristle Worm

Start up a new tank build thread in "Show off your Fish Tanks" Forum. :) FOWLR setups are much more accommodating, but still can be daunting if you're not careful.

6. AdamS

i will be starting a tank build once i get my stand built which hopefully my dad will pay for because i originally payed for the tank and stand. Do you have any ideas on other fish with the ones i have already posted?

7. Estee

Estee Bristle Worm

My recommendation again is to start off with something small and cheap aka Chromies or Damsels to get a feel for SW. Afterwards you can move on to the big, bad boys. I hope you know that SW tanks are a huge $$$ pit, even FOWLR setups. While predators may be more accommodating to you in terms of hardiness, they also usually require special needs in nutrition (live food) and care to be comfortable. Good luck and look forward to seeing you post in the Tank section.

8. Click Here!

9. AdamS

ya i guess i will start with some damsels. Anyone know of an angel that would do well in this tank that doesnt get too big and is still colorfull?

10. Grant

Grant Feather Duster

my 2 cents...start with a chromis or an ocellaris clown. the damsels are the hardiest, but are not worth the trouble down the road. In my experience, chromis are also hardy and seem to be a little less aggressive. Ocellaris clowns are also very hardy and a great addition you'll want to keep, but a little more $ on the front end.

11. AdamS

well what i was thinking is that the damsels would be fine because it will become a predator tank anyway and i dont think messing with a trigger, eel or puffer would be such a good idea if you know what i mean haha. does that sound reasonable?

12. AdamS

alright well i found some fish i would like and want to see what peoples .02 are on them.
    -Male Bird Wrasse
    -Majestic Angel
    -(#) of Damsels
    -2 Clowns
    -Powder Blue Tang
    -Vol. Lion
    -Foxface
    Of course i am not going to add all of these but which fish would you suggest to work with the 2 triggers, dogface puffer and snowflake eel. If you think other fish would be better than the list above then just let me know what you are thinking. thanks