How Would You Stock A 120 Gallon

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by AdamS, Mar 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

2. Click Here!

3. AdamS

AdamS Coral Banded Shrimp

ya i do like the tusk theyr pretty cool but then what else would work with the tusk, 2 triggers an puffer? i like the large angels and small angels, foxface, lionfish, snowflake eel, clowns, tangs.

4. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I had a Harlequin Tusk. Great fish to add color to the tank but could be expensive so get a small one they're cheaper. I had a Dragon Wrasse and he was a loner and didn't bother anyone. Large angels may overpower that tank, I would lean more toward a dwarf and/or a medium size angel. Don't get me wrong I really like the Annularis or Emperor angel but not in that size tank. You have to be fair to the fish first and then you decide which one you like and can afford. I'm not that big on Lionfish, foxface or snowflake eel so I have no opinion. I like tangs and I've always had one, they roam around all day and add movement to your tank. Percula clowns are cool I named mine Ned and Nemo.

5. AdamS

ya my lfs has a tusk thats not that expensive. what type of medium angel would you suggest? like somewhere around 6-8 in? what tang(s) would you suggest?

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I have an Asphur angel so I would point towards him. I like the Majestic angel also and a Coral angel is nice. In a tank they will not grow as big as in the wild. I will forewarn that angels are susceptible to ich and popeye so make sure your water parameters are in check.
    Purple tangs are good and don't get too big. They are similar to Yellow tangs but I've found them to be healthier for some reason. Like I've said before put tangs in last as they can be rough on newcomers. I would leave it at that for tangs until the day comes that you move up to a bigger tank. Honestly, with your thoughts on a predator tank your going to need the space eventually. It's now or later. I'll tell you from experince your going to get a bigger tank or you'll get discouraged and get out of the hobby. I'm hoping for the former.

7. AdamS

why can an asphur work but not an emperor? i mean they say they get to the same size or is it just the nature of the fish liking to swim back and forth? About the ick problem tho im not too worried because i think i will just be getting bowl rock and have bioballs then later add live rock but im not sure yet. What other types of wrasses could i do? As for the eel would it be ok in your opinion? As for the tangs from what im getting the size of a purple or yellow tang would be the best as far as size?

8. Click Here!

9. AdamS

10. AdamS

so here is another list i came up with
    -Niger Trigger
    -Humu Trigger
    -Dogface Puffer
    -Snowflake Eel
    -Foxface
    And after that im still not sure because if i add a vol. lion then i would not be able to have any clowns, damsels or small angels so any advice would be great.

11. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I think you should put those in and see how much more room you have before moving further on your wish list. Yes you can add some smaller strong fish like clowns but if you want a small angel like a coral beauty or lemonpeel etc. I would probably put him in before the foxface and I'm just guessing here as I've never had a foxface but if they act anything like a tang it could be curtains for a small angel IMHO.

12. yumareef

yumareef Astrea Snail

I have a Foxface Lo that is very docile. Love that fish