How to turn off/clean canister filter?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by hippychic, Nov 17, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

Sorry for the really dumb question! But unfortunately the information booklet that came with my Eheim Canister filter doesn't actually tell me what the process for turning it off to clean it is!

All it says is that it shouldn't have any water in it when reconnecting to the aquarium.

So this is what I THINK the process should be:

The pipe that takes the water out of the tank has a tap on it, so do I turn the filter off, then close the tap so that I can disconnect the inlet pipe from the filter, and then wait for the water that is still in the filter to drain back into the tank, and then carry it off to clean it??

Thanks in advance :)

2. Click Here!

3. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Yup... That should do the trick !? What is your model ?! Can you describe it ?! BTW, you can download product manuals form the EHEIM website: Click here

Good luck...

4. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

I've got an Eheim 2217, the instructions on the website are the same as the ones I've got. They're extremely brief!

Thanks for your help, I'll give it a go :)

5. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I cut off the intake on mine, and let it pump out some of the water already in the canister filter, then I gut off the return. That prevents a flood when you go to clean it.

7. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

So it doesn't damage the filter or anything by cutting off the intake valve while the filter is still running?? As once it pumps all the water out it will still be running but without water in it, I was afraid that might damage it?

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

10. hippychic

hippychic Astrea Snail

Thanks!

My tank doesn't look very interesting at the moment, we just started cycling, but when I get something interesting in it I'll post pics :)