how to trim xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by oldfishkeeper, Jun 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hi all, like many that have good luck growing xenia, I have entirely too much and would like to trim it. Can I just cut it at the bottom of the stalk with a razor blade? I would like to hopefully do it so that I can take some into my LFS - I don't really want to kill it. All advice appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If you are trying to frag it breaking up the rock (or cutting it up) is the safest method albeit not the easiest.It is possible to remove the entire stalk but it is difficult to do wothout harming the polyp.Most lr is porous and breaks easier then you would think.;)

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

You can cut it at the stalk and throw it in a bucket of rubble until it attaches. Don't bother to glue or rubber band it will slime it's way out of any attempts to do that. The hardest part is it is a poor shipper and if you don't have it fully recovered and attached it will probably melt at the LFS.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've literally cut xenia at the stalk and threw some in my daughters tank. Every piece attached on its own and is thriving very well.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

hmmmm......decisions, decisions :) thank you all for the responses!

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I've fragged mine enough enough everybody has some and I can give it away. I end up just cutting the stalk with regular scissors and throwing it in a bucket of vinegar to disvolve before dumping it out by the compost pile.

8. Click Here!

9. POC3442

POC3442 Astrea Snail