How to take care of an easy coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Nov 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ok so I'm new to corals and I need some help choosing one, but more importantly, I don't know much about taking care of them. Any general rules for taking care of them, and any suggestions for beginner corals?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

provide proper water quality and good lighting. those are the basics, not those maynot be sufficient for every coral but are for most.

beginner corals are zoas and mushrooms, there are others but those are the most common.

4. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

Each coral requires different things whether it be an easy coral or difficult. The difficulty usually means the easier the coral, the hardier it is when it comes to fluctuations in chemistry and adaptability.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

agree with everyone, let us know what your set-up is & what lighting you have, those will determine if you can support coral.

If you don't have anything yet, let us know what you want to keep and then we can let you know what you'll need to support it.

Many easier LPS & Softies can be supported with basic decent lighting, but as you get into coral you will need to make sure your levels for Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, & Phosphates is in check. Some of those elements are replenished through water changes but many of us also dose our reefs with supplements to keep them all steady.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Most any leather coral, Toadstools, finger, devils' claw. Mushrooms, Green Star polyps, Button Polyps.

8. Click Here!

9. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ok thanks everyone. I actually started off with some corals but wasn't doing well since my tank has been through a LOT of changes.

10. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

what type of lighting do you have? T-5 or power compact or metal halide

11. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

I'll be tagging along with this thread as I too am ready to start with some simple corals. What corals need low light? I guess telling you my light would be more appropriate so I only have 2x54W HO T5 fixture on a 55 gallon tank. I know that is small lighting for a 55, but hey, its what I have now :) Sorry to hijack the thread. :-/

12. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

I'll give you a few examples of corals that you can get, place, and there you go. That is the only care they need.

Mushrooms
    Zoas
    Green Star Polyps