How to setup a quarantine tank/

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Seppish, Apr 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seppish

Seppish Fire Worm

Does anyone have a good link, or have time to tell me how to setup a quarantine tank. I live in an apartment and have a budget, and just cant figure out a good way to do this and still maintain a filter for it. Do I need a skimmer for it? How does it stay clean? I you have one and have pics I would love to know how to do this, as this seems to be a must have with a saltwater aquarium. I just had one fish die from starvation, and now my sailfin tang seems to be awfully sick. I just got two clowns the other day and I don't want them to get whatever is hurting the tangs. I think I may need to take all of the fish from the tank for a while just incase there are parasites living in the sand. I'M FREAKING OUT! I just don't want to keep putting fish into a tank where they will inevitably get sick.

2. Click Here!

3. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

there's currently a thread that i started that asked the same question (i also am on a budget). I think you can do one for 50-60 or even less. Go to the "fish tank" link under forums, and the title should read quarantine setup, any advice? There were some helpful suggestions from other reefers

4. Tight Lipped

Tight Lipped Astrea Snail

I just bought a 10 gallon tank with a hang on filter, added some crushed coral and LR, I keep 2 cheap fish in there and add some copper every once in a while, I use it for new fish as well.

5. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

For a QT tank bare bottom is the way to go. Lass places for parasites to hide and seeing as how you'll be dosing medicine into it more so than your regular tank the bacteria argument isn't as valid here. It's good to give the fish something to hide in. PVC pip will do for a budget. Remember if this is a QT it doesn't need to look flashy.

+2 on the 10 gal with a HOB filter. The fish won't be living in here, it is just a temporary stay.