Urgent how to remove leaky bulkhead

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by gwgang, Jun 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gwgang

gwgang Plankton

I found out one bulkhead is leaking after spending 4 hours moving from a 75 gallon to 120 gallon. It's the straight down standpipe, and it's glued to the slip bulkhead. I can't remove the bulkhead nut on the outside because the pipe inside is rotating with the nut.

What's the best way the make the pipe/flange stay put while I unwind the nut? I had a helper, but our hand grip strength is no good enough.

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

can you get your helper to hold the standpipe with a pair of vice grip pliers while you turn the nut at the bottom?

4. AlexanderConner

AlexanderConner Plankton

This could be the best way, or either stop the supply for few hours and change it ASAP

5. dxbmax

dxbmax Astrea Snail

I had the same problem, held it with the wide pliers while a friend turned the standpipe.

While mine still leaked after replacing it and checking 5 times before filling up the tank, I let it be since it was just drops into the sump - 2 days and the leak went away on its own

lucky me?

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Get a couple of basin wrenches at the hardware store. The head rotates 90 degrees so you can reach down in the overflow box from above and up to the nut from below.
    When you replace the bulkhead, throw it as far as you can and get a thread x thread version so it is much easier to work with or replace in the future.

I have a good Bulkhead Installation Tips sticky thread here you might find helpful:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/bulkhead-installation-tips-111422.html
    Installing Bulkhead Tips

7. gwgang

gwgang Plankton

I will give it a try.

I will give the basin wrench idea a try tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I am tempted to just glue wield on a length of pipe to the stand pipe.
    There are currently no livestock in this tank now, as I had put all the old tank water back into my old tank, minus the substrate.

I will order a new bulk head, thread x thread is definitely a good idea. Thanks everybody for their help.

8. Click Here!

9. ROAST N BEEF

ROAST N BEEF Astrea Snail

try siliconing around it one last time

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

And first time you bump it it leaks and you drain your tank to fix it?

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time.

Silicone and bulkheads do not belong together.

11. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Usually it's best to replace with new bulkheads or new seals at least when setting up a tank. Don't over tighten the nut. You'll regret that one if you don't have a spare nut.

12. gwgang

gwgang Plankton

New bulkhead and gasket ordered

Just after I place an order for the new bulkhead, I found out that gaskets is available for sale at another place!

It turns out that the old bulkhead is a slip x slip type. I was able to use a slip joint pliers to grip the bulkhead body, and turned the nut using another wrench/plier. I don't even need a helper.:p

Before I removed the old bulkhead, I run the tank with all the connections and pump one more time. The bulkheads are glued to insert fittings for flexible vinyl tubing. I thought the clamps on the hose were tight, but water seep out of the tubing from the top. I had to use a power impact driver to tighten them down. Now the only place that leaks is the leaking bulkhead, and it leaks at 1 drop per 3 minutes, which is not bad.

I am moving the fishes in tomorrow. They had suffered in a small tank long enough.