How to remove Green Hair and Brown Algae

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Reefnfish, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. l400ex

l400ex Fire Worm

what do you have for a cc my blue leg hermets seem to be eating gha for me

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

old bulbs maybe what kelvin rating are they ? are they t5 or mh

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

Actually I have both MH's and T5's. The t5's are only two months old Geissman's. Even when I put in New rock I see it starting to turn hairy and then brown and then just covered completely. Corraline never has a chance to develope. Frustrating as Heck.

5. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

Here is a Pic I took last night of a rock where I have added soft coral. As you can see the Algae has taken over.

Attached Files:

• GHA.jpg
      GHA.jpg
      File size:
      324.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Not too much of a takeover, I can show you some pics of a takeover if you want, haha.

I had a similar problem with algae blooms. For me, I was running daylights for 11 hours, and actinics for 13 hours. I cut this back to daylights for 11 and actinics for 3.5 hours, at small periods throughout the day. This seemed to substantially cut back on the growth. Combined with manual removal and my CUC, I'm making progress.

Believe it or not it still may be a cause of the tap water you used once upon a time, phosphates contained within will be locked up in the algae, so unless you're manually removing it, even if it's getting eaten by snails, their droppings contain that phospate, available as nutrients to fuel more algae growth.

You'll probably want to use a combination 3 tier attack for this: adjusting your photo-period, manual removal, and monitoring feedings closely taking out any uneaten food. You can expect seeing results after about 2 weeks-ish? It's not a quick process cutting back on algae blooms. No magic wands in this hobby.

7. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

Dr,
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to remove some Older base Rock or Coral this weekend and scrap some of the bad stuff and keep all my newer live rock and clean with a small brush. I have been doing minor water changes every other day and I am seeing some results. I think you are correct about the Tap Water I used to use and I'm hoping time will be the healer. I will update pics as progress is made....I hope.