How to remove Green Hair and Brown Algae

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Reefnfish, Jan 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

I have a 120 G tank running now for 10 Months and there is no coraline just GHA and Brown Algae all over my rock. I cannot get it out?????? All params are good and I do 10% water change every week. Any ideas how to get it out?????

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Where are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

4. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

That's what i thought... If i had known that my tank would end up being a bunch of rock covered with green hair and brown gunk i probably would have saved alot of money. If anyone can help please let me know.

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Easy now...we have all been through this at one time or another....10 months though means to me that you are over looking something. What are your levels. especially N03 and P04

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

also are you using tap or ro/di?

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hi reefnfish
    as Robman indicates above , all parameters are good and having an algae problem is a contradiction IME

you have algae due to available nutrients which even if your test kits tell you are 0 cannot be trusted as the algae tells you otherwise - the algae uses up these as fast as they are generated and thus they may not always show up on test kits

solutions
    1 - manual removal at water change time, get that bucket as dirty as possible when changing the 10%
    2 - cut down feeding, reducing nutrients
    3 - introduce chemical media such as GFO to strip the water of nutrients so the algae slows down
    4- lighting , are the lamps old or of the wrong colour spectrum ( lighting doesnt cause the algae but it can encourage it if its the wrong type)
    5- check overall flow in tank, to ensure there are no dead spots that encourage detrius to accumulate and add to the nurtient levels in the tank
    6- introduce macro algaes, normally in the sump, that compete with the nuisance algae for nutrients

3 reef combined knowledge post by Steve

8. Click Here!

9. l400ex

l400ex Fire Worm

im some what having the same problem gha is in vary small paches i think my hermets are eating it and as for the brown stuff im changing more water this seems to be helping but for long term im trying to sell clownfish to cut down on bio load im just a newbie but i think this is going to help my no3 and po4 are high so im hoping less fish will bring this down i have been using tap water but it tests 0 im starting to use ro/di anyways hope this helps

10. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

Salinity- 1.023
    Ph-8.1
    Am-0
    Ni-0
    Na-10-20
    P04-0
    Ca-420
    KH-9

11. l400ex

l400ex Fire Worm

still a newbie but id try a new test kit my old one says o new one shows way i was way high on po4 and no3

12. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

Iv'e also been using RO/DI Spectra Pure water for 5 Months. Should I take the rock out and scrup with a toothbrush????? I also am using two #4 Hydors and two #3 Hydors for flow. I still end up with the gha. I am loosing hope here.:angry: