How to prolong bulb life.

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by HappyGillmore, Dec 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey guys, I ordered $250 of replacement 48 inch T5 bulbs . They are Geisemann's, top of the line but expensive. My problem is Im using them in 1 Perfecto light strip and on my MT sits a WavePoint Fixture. The Perfecto one isnt the best, crummy reflector and im sure the ballast isnt that good either.

I was wondering if 1) I could mod the reflector to get more out of my bulbs and 2) if theres anything else I could do to get the most life out of these pricey bulbs.

When it comes to reflectors, I always wondered why light fixtures just dont come with mirrors for reflectors. Im thinking what could be better at reflecting light than mirrors? Im sure theres a good reason but in my case it might be an inexpensive way to upgrade the reflector in side that POS Perfecto strip. The Wavepoint looks to be a pretty decent light, its has individual polished aluminum reflectors and the bulbs are completely encased in a water tight heavy duty housing. I just dont want to put bulbs in something thats gonna burn em up in 6 months. I now finally understand the value of a good ballast.

BTW now that I have the reactor up and water quality is outstanding, it seems the only growth inhibitor is amount of light. This 216 watts over my 75 gal MT isnt enough anymore and im thinking of adding a double T5 strip to supplement like I have over the refugium. Technically I have more light over the fuge than the MT cuz in addition to the Perfecto, I have two 24 inch Current doubles that supplement light (over rock fuge actinic and Geis. Aqua Blue, over macro fuge actinic and 6700k). blah blah blah all this doesnt matter i guess lol. What matters is how to prolong bulb life. Any input is very welcome :)

2. Click Here!

3. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Just like batteries, if you keep your bulbs in the freezer it will prolong their life. Just take them out when you need them and they're as good as the day you put them in. I'm told that this only works with bulbs 48" and longer so please don't go putting smaller bulbs in your freezer. ;) ;)

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

A mirror is a piece of glass that is silvered on the back side. The glass actually would absorb some of that light. You can see this on your reef tank too if you're lighting is good....you'll see on the front glass that the sand is lit deeper than the surface.

5. HappyGillmore

lol youre messin with me. silly qiustion i guess, I think i was up very late when i posted this thread lol. i just dont enjoy spending $200 on replacements. That will happen when you have 4 fixtures to stock :/

6. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I heard wrapping them in tinfoil keeps them good longer.. something about the alien radiations and messages they send to within and beyond. Its a scary world man!

7. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Your question wasn't silly at all. Unfortunately I didn't have anything meaningful to add but the idea of trying to fit some 48" or 72" bulbs into the freezer just struck me as funny (sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night).

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

dont turn them on....... lol

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Keep the bulbs properly cooled and they will last longer. How many bulbs did you get BTW? At least you don't have MH or PC, you would have spent a lot more.

11. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

That is an excellent point. My ballasts are located 10 feet away from the bulbs both to keep the bulbs and tank cool and also to keep the ballasts cool which will prolong their life.

12. HappyGillmore

I got 8 48 inch bulbs and 4 24 inchers. All Geisemanns, a mix of all 5 spectrums they make. So I dont mind spending the money to replace all my bulbs, I just hope its not too often I have to do this.