How to prevent sand in filter?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by 09lehmkuhla, May 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 09lehmkuhla

09lehmkuhla Plankton

Yeah, this is my first time using sand and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for preventing sand from getting in my filter?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

You may be able to raise your inlet to your filter..
    Get it away from the bottom more..

If the flow back into your tank is causeing it.. Move your flow..
    If you can't change the flow.. Add a piece of liverock, to break the flow up..

What size tank, how old, what filter system..?? How much liverock how deep is your sand..? You may have to add a thin layer of crushed coral or something..
    Afriend of mines water flow would dig a hole in the sand.. Small tank big filter.

Welcome to 3Reef, Larry

1 person likes this.
  4. 09lehmkuhla

09lehmkuhla Plankton

well, I have had a 15g for about 6 months and I acquired a 29 gallon so I've been in the midst of transferring my tank over. I decided that I wanted to switch from crushed coral to sand but whenever I start my filter in won't circulate water. The filter works because it runs on my 15g but won't circulate on the 29. Any ideas?

5. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Is it a HOB.. hang on back..??
    If it worked on one tank it should work on any.. Pump water anyway..
    I use 2 HOB's plus others..
    Now in then I take one into the kitchen and clean it real good.. I even use a turkey baster to blow water thru it to remove anything.. I hook it up to a bowl of water and let fresh water run thru it.. It'll help flush it out.. Dry it good and add new filter material..

It came off a 15 gal, going on a 29.. ?
    Is it going to be enough..? You going to get a bigger one..?

Good Luck, Larry

6. 09lehmkuhla

09lehmkuhla Plankton

Yeah they are both HOB, I have a smaller one on the 15 gal and bought a bigger one for the 29, thats the one I was talking about. I wasn't sure if it was that I need to wait a day or so until the sand settles until I run the new filter or something like that

7. TonysReef

TonysReef Feather Duster

thats what i think the problem could be...u mite still have small sand particles floating around and gettins stuck in your motor...mite actually cause some dmg over time, (seize) if u hear any funny noise thats what it will be, sand wedge between the impellars.

-goodluck
    tony