How to prepare for power outages

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Thatgrimguy, Aug 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

A storm in that area is very different than a storm in our area. We are built for hurricanes and have much lower levels of population density. A category one in the northeast can wreak more havoc in many cases than strong cat 2s along the Gulf Coast.

2. Click Here!

3. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I understand that but, the North east is also a lot higher land than most of the south. Trees and infrastructure will be a problem, if it goes into Chesapeake Bay They may have very large issues. If you live in a city, when a hurricane comes, that sucks for you. New Orleans knows what population density and chaos is like. Gulfport may have had funding to protect itself, but where I live that is not the case. I think the biggest issues they will have is power outage, so prepare for that.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Look outside... Do you see a ditch?? Then you are already vastly better prepared than most of the northeast.... Also, when we go down, our power companies own a fleet of line repair trucks and debris removing trucks as well as having a very well laid out plan of attack to get us back online... Your area is very well prepared to handle hurricanes.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

On the flip side... let a snowstorm hit either of us Matt.. and what the northeast would consider a regular day will take us down for a week!

6. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Yes, but we don't have ditches just because of hurricanes, we have a much larger annual rainfall. Many places here flood every time a hurricane comes in, large parts of Plaquemines parish are not protected at all. Say what you want, but it's not like everywhere is protected here either. The last time there was a Snowstorm where I live was 23 years ago, the road froze and a few trucks slid in the bayou. Although we really don't have to worry about snowstorms and even if they come they are never severe. Cajuns and Rednecks are more resilient then most people though.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  7. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Generators are sold out throughout the area. Craigslist too. Except for people selling them for like $1000 bucks.

Ok. I have these azoo air pumps with airstones. Where would I place the airstones in the tank? Also, any idea how long a brand new set of D batteries will last in these things? I just want to gauge how many batteries I will need. I just picked up a bunch.

8. Click Here!

9. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

The batteries if running constantly, for me, usually last a few days. Just place the stone in the water column. It may not come in in time, but try Norton tools

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

I hope this storm is nothing like last years Oct storm. Wicked Starm!!

Best of luck to all in it's path!

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

No matter why the ditches are there.. they still serve the same purpose...

I have worked with the cities of Baltimore, Washington D.C. and Trenton NJ during hurricane season and know exactly what lack of preparation looks like. I know what there water run off looks like because in order to plan an outdoor autoshow you have to prepare a major storm preparation plan for the manufacturer. I'm not making blanket assumptions when it comes to how there infrastructure can (well can't) handle major storms.

Not to mention the unprotected areas you are comparing in Louisiana have like 1/1000th the population of the areas we are talking about.

I would expect it to take double the amount of time it would take a gulf state to get power back. And if the rainfall is heavy flooding is very very possible.

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I have run mine for 4 days and never had a hiccup out of them. (first set of batteries) I'm not sure how long they go, but it was longer than I expected. Make sure you have plenty of water change water made up as well.