How to make a sump

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JPfish, Oct 1, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Sorry Omar, I'm not sure I understand. You will be upgrading to 120 and you Your 120G will be 48X24X24 but is the stand exactly the same dimensions? I would use a rubber maid container as a sump. you will have plenty of room under the 120G for all the stuff. The refugium I would say would not be in the stand but beside the tank. There would be a pump from the sump to the refugium and gravity back to the Sump.

Check out these pics I know they are over the top but it will give you an Idea of the commitment one could make when GOING BIG

220G tank set up

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Yep,

Stand size exactly same as tank size...told you was tight fit for both...has to do with where goes in living room...and how looks with "adjacent" cabinet...no place else to go for tank this size. No other options.

Why I am concerned about optimizing available "storage"/"maint/support" space/area.

You will understand as stand gets built...will post photo's..

Later,

Omar

4. Rick_Newton

Rick_Newton Plankton

I know this thread is old but as a newbie it was very informative. Couple of questions though.

As I understand it the overflow box operates by gravity yet should the return pump should match the inflow in GPH? Are the pumps mentioned adjustable as to output.

When the power goes off the gravity continues to feed the sump but without return pump isn't it bound to overflow the sump? I understand that once the overflow is sucking air it will stop so how or what do you adjust so that it doesn't overflow?

You can put all equipment in the sump such as heaters etc. Can you use a HOT Skimmer in the sump? Does the return pump generate any heat that should be considered?

If you put holes in the return line above the water line to stop the pump from drawing tank water back into sump in power failure does it not leak when going from sump into tank?

Final question for now. What do you have in your sump? A reflection of the tank itself as far as sand, LR, critters or the Bio Ball/filter type?

Thanks for all your help. Site is very informative.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

They are adjustable via a ball valve placed inline on the return hose. This valve will help find the balance between the overflow and the pump.

THe overflow has grooves or teeth along the top edge. The tank will not drain beyond these teeth due to the design of the overflow.

Yes and yes. CHeck out Birdlady's sump pic in the photo gallery. The pump shouldn't heat up too much if flow is not severely restricted.

Good question. Never had that setup, so I can't tell ya.

My new sump for my 20 long will have just my heater, skimmer, chiller, and return pump. Oh and a bag of carbon and maybe a sponge or floss. I was supposed to do that this weekend! Jeez. Time flies.

Thanks for joining by the way..

matt

6. Rick_Newton

Rick_Newton Plankton

Thanks for the reply. Most helpful espcially Birdladys pics.

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Cooooll! I got used as a link!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

10. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

I think the holes should go an inch or two below the water line in the main tank. If the power goes off, water could backflow into your pump and the sump. But once the main tank's water level drops below the airhole in the line, the suction should be broken, preventing the whole tank from siphoning into your sump.

11. benpen

benpen Plankton

awesome post....i'm gonna do a sump soon....definately a great help...thank you

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

:thumb_up: You won't regret it.