How to level a tank on an unlevel floor?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Should be available at local DIY store of at Drywall supply store.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Grab a piece of toekick to trim the base of the stand after you have shimmed it...

4. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

yeah, its probably not the best idea for this application, but thought it might somhow inspire someone else to come up with something good lol.

on a floor that you didnt want to damage i'd imagine something like setting up a small form, maybe laying that black poly plastic sheeting inside (tho youd want it close to perfectly flat and folded up pretty neatly at the sides to contain everything) and then pour resin/non-shrink grout/something magical.
    i'll note that i've never used any of these things myself, just call up alot of grouting on drawings to level things and figure its the same thing in principle.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Normally I am a good candidate for such things, however I need to move the tank this weekend as I need to be out of the old place by the 1st, so something intense is not an option. I'd love to see someone pull that off though.

This sounds cool. Although I am paranoid that my stand which is made for a rimless tank (read - flat all around) is not built for this. Not sure though.

Say what? :)

I will ask around - thanks.

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

For a smaller tank like yours with a solid base, cut another piece of wood the same size as the base. Put the tank stand on top of the cut piece, and shim in between the two. That will distribute the weight more evenly to the floor.

But, really, your tank is not that big. You could just use a lot of wood shims placed next to each other.