How to level a tank on an unlevel floor?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

very hard to find a build on it specifically, however I have seen it done before... this is very hard to explain so I will try and draw you up a picture in the mean time. It might take a few days since I am very busy right now with term papers, projects, and every professor throwing in a test before thanksgiving break :(

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I hear ya - you can use the 3reef Photo tools to draw FYI when you have time.
    Thanks

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Matt the 265G that i am in the process of setting up is actually on an "after-market" platform that is PERFECTLY Level....u might be able to get some sort of idea from the pics on the build...i can take additional pics of the platform...but I just cant get any underneath shots to show actual construction :-/, but its SOLID...lemme know if you want more shots
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/its-time-major-upgrade-97906-7.html

5. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

I always hate leveling tanks so now i build my own stands and i weld 2 inch wide nuts on the inside of the legs and use 3/4 inch threded rod for adjustible leg extentions weld some feet on the bottom of the rods and put stick on plastic gliders on the bottom then just build a wood sorrounding with doors or how ever you want it the sky is the limit

Probly why my metal supplyer and powder coater love me but thay turn out great

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool idea.

UPDATE - well last night I moved a level around the 2 foot square area on the floor where the tank will go and it's not too bad - slopes forward to the front pane a bit. I think I can sand down a strip of wood for the front half of the stand and be done with it. We will know soon - this weekend is go time!

7. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

jacking bolts is a good idea, as long as the tank isnt too big.
    i was going to suggest a stable table as a joke (anyone know what they are?)
    but then i remembered hearing about some liquid i was told tilers can use to make sure a floor is perfectly flat before laying tiles.
    i guess it would be like a resin or epoxy that would fill the imperfections and being a liquid to start with, set perfectly flat.
    this is probably too extreme for most cases, but i guess you could make a bund around where the aquarium is to go, maybe lay something down to protect your floor if needed and find something (dont really have time to look into it further atm) that could be poured, level itself and form either some kind of plinth, or make the perfect aquarium sized shim for that exact spot.
    completely excessive, but if you really wanted a level tank with even bearing, theres an option lol.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I was thinking about something like this. But this is on a wood floor. Won't it damage/stain it?

matt

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I used drywall shims which are long strips of cardboard about 3/4" wide and 1/16 thick. using these you can run the whole length cutting them back as needed.

1 person likes this.
  11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sounds perfect - I will look for those. Thanks gazog. k+

12. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm in an older house now also what I did was get adjustable leveling feet at Home Depot the kind that you drill holes into your stand bottom and then insert the sleeve. You then unscrew them out until your level all the way around. Your stand would use four one at each corner. They are inexpensive and they give you the ability to move your tank anywhere. Also they make it easier to slide your tank as they have neoprene bottoms.;D