How to Know If Skimmer is Working Well

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by keyjeff, Jun 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. keyjeff

keyjeff Plankton

I wanted to ask in general, and also specifically for the Bak Pak 2, how to tell if your skimmer is working well and not just on.

Currently, my skimmer produces very little waste-no more than 5% of the cup fills up on any given day. I have it set up so it is level I've followed the directions to a tee, but it just doesn't seem to be doing all that much skimming.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Click Here!

3. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

First question, is it dry or wet that is coming out? straight foam or mess?

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

let it go for a few days and fill up.. do a smell test to see how well its working, jk ;)

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

also how olds your tank jeff? could be you dont have that much waste if its fairly new

6. keyjeff

keyjeff Plankton

Thanks for the quick responses. The tank has been running for 3 weeks--29 gallon, w/35 lbs of live rock, one small blue damsel, a few small zoo frags, and a few small mushrooms. I've been running a Penguin power filter since day 1 and the Bak Pak 2 with bio filter running for two weeks.

The skimmer has been producing tea like water, but in what seems to be very small amounts.

I guess my question is basically how much skim should a well functioning skimmer produce in a newer setup? On average, mine seems to be producing a tablespoon or two a day. After three or four days, it is at most 15% full.

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

it will take a bit more time for it to pull more out. your system doesnt have a lot of waste to be skimmed yet. its goin along as it should. and later you will get a beautifully , smelly vile , browny\green skim. yummy

8. Click Here!

9. keyjeff

keyjeff Plankton

Thanks Divot. I was really getting frustrated by the lack of scum. Having never seen a skimmer in action before, I just wasn't sure I set it up right. One less thing to worry about, which will give me more time to worry about all the new stuff springing to life on my live rock!

1 person likes this.
  10. divott

divott Giant Squid

lol, dont call it worries , call it educational learning process. all the new weird things popping up on your rock. some good, some bad. but never worry, just enjoy. no crying wither. lol