How to kill pests…

Discussion in 'Coral' started by arthur, Sep 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

As more I read more I get confused… so much different info everywhere… Can you guys help me or narrow some articles. I know topic is not simple… Like when you buy Zoas what should I use as a dipp solution < mostly to kill Nud i>. Or other soft corals. When I buy Acroporas what is the best solution for them? Interceptor for red bugs and flat worms? Problem is, every family of corals need different dips, right? Is there any simple way to sorted this out? Thank for your help in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

a hospital tank is the best way chemicals in my opinion should be used at a last resort

4. arthur

I understand. I have one. But still to make sure I think you should do a dipp before…

5. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

I believe if you look at them long enough you will see if something is on him you can see nudis and red bugs

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Every frag I get gets dipped before going in my reef tank. I use coral rx and also seachems reef dip. Depending on the coral is the dip I use. Really nice tank man.

7. arthur

Thanks for all suggestions. I did a lot of reading. I think all softies, LPS I will dipp in Coral RX, SPS like Acroporas in Bayer solution or Interceptor. I have this tank for 8 years and never dipp any of my corals. I think I got lucky… From now I will dipp every new addition after reading so many horrible stories… DSC reef - thanks for kind words :)

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

^ Totally agree, really nice tank.

Sounds like a plan, but just in case check out what Acropora Flatworm bite marks and eggs look like. Dip are good, knowing what pest look like is a really good idea as well.

DSC reef and Matt Rogers like this.
  10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Is there any good place to check out that has this info?

And agreed on the "Nice Tank"! Is the Monti growing on the back glass as well there?

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Oh sure, just google images of acropora fw bite marks, or aefw eggs. You'll get tons of hits on forums as well.

Dips work for killing some pest and they will knock off some pest so you see them floating in the container you dip in. Eggs are the issue, if you see bite marks then eggs should not be far behind. I would not trust a quick dip to kill off all potential Red Bugs either.

When you go to a vendor, look around at their Montipora, does it look like MEN, monitpora eating nudibranchs have been munching? You start to recognize the tell tail signs. If you see a stray nudibranch in a tank then you know you have to inspect your zonathids, and other corals carefully. A dip will kill the adults but not the eggs.

Visual inspection goes a long ways. You can get pest from even the most reliable vendor.

DSC reef likes this.
  12. arthur

Thanks for all info. Really appreciate your help. some people say that Interceptor will kill pests and EGGS. Whats your opinion?