How to keep sand clean?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Durty Dj's 916, May 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Durty Dj's 916

Durty Dj's 916 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

That looks mighty fine to me. Fine as in the size of the grains. The problem with a fine grade like that is If there is any flow in the tank there will constantly be a sand storm.
    As for keeping it clean there are a few questions. Are you going to go with a DSB or is it going to be shallow?
    You know just because your going reef doesn't mean you have to have a sandbed.
    If your going with a DSB you don't want to vacuum. (Lightly across the top but not enough to disturb the sand itself)
    A decent cuc and stable water conditions should keep your sand fairly clean.
    Nassarius snails, fighting conch will sift the sand a little. Hermits will eat left over food and other off the SB.
    Sand sifter goby will sift the sand but if its not established the fish won't last long as there isn't enough nutrients or food for him to eat in the sand.
    I guess first things first. DSB or shallow?

4. Durty Dj's 916

Its a 40 gal tank an 30lbs of sand so its def gonna be shallow

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 on the grain size, hermits and snails.

While I've had excellent results from bagged live sand, I've only used AragAlive from CarribSea; I've never even heard of this brand. Lots of folks are down on buying live sand, claiming high ammonia, no surviving infauna, etc., etc., so the first thing I'd suggest is sticking with a known company that sells locally through your LFS.

IMOPE, sand-sifting gobies actively prey on the infauna that makes your sand "live"; in a 40, one would most likely deplete the population and then starve. Don't bother with a sand-sifting starfish, either- your tank is way too small. The aforementioned snails and hermits will do just fine. Good flow and an occasional light vacuuming of the surface will work wonders, as well.

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

You might consider running #1 grade aragonite instead of "sugar-fine", as it does "lay down" much better than the finer substrates, but still won't trap detritus. TideLine puts out a REALLY nice product that is smooth-edged and very clean (requires a lot less pre-rinsing).

As for keeping white sand white...about all you can do is keep the water quality high, and siphon any junk off of the substrate. Personally, I think the substrate looks more natural with a bit of "patina" on it...as long as my systems are running OK, I don't really sweat it, but that's me...

7. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I went with a fine grain in my 120g. and it was some work to keep clean. Luckily I had 2 sand sifting stars in there and they helped "churn" it. I just started a nano 8 gal. 4 weeks ago and went with the aragonite because it isn't as fine. I think it will be easier to maintain, but I do like the look of fine white better.

8. Click Here!

9. Durty Dj's 916

ya im not trying to keep it pearly white i just don't want it all gunked up all the time thanks guys the advice is great

10. Durty Dj's 916

Also all the reviews on the sand are good 4.8 out of 5 but who knows they could be paid ratings