how to increase nitrates

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Dingo, May 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

is there a way to increase nitrates? i want to get it higher to keep my macro heathy but still keep my tank at zero.
    I just want there to be a slight bit more produced... just enough that my macro can suck it up really fast for some nice growth and so nitrates still dont build up

Suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Get some plant fertilizer that only supplies nitrogen.

1 person likes this.
  4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Be careful with all of that unless you want a mass influx of nuisance algae problems.

How old is your tank? How big is it? What fish/critters do you have in there?

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Google Ammonium Nitrate or Potassium Nitrate.

IMO, the Ammonium Nitrate is much safer. Potassium Nitrate is explosive (it's even used in firecrackers) BUT ONLY IF IT'S PURCHASED IN POWDER FORMand I don't know how accurate the potassium test kits are. The Ammonium will not kill your fish at the pH level of typical aquariums.

You can get the above at plant nurseries and Home Repair places. If you're uncomfortable with the above. Seachem Planted

Last edited: May 23, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I'm guessing you could increase feeding by s little bit...
    That should increase it

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

sps dominant 60g with 20g display fuge

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Putting extra nitrates into a SPS tank could be considered kinda dangerous....

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

What macro are we talking about?

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

will the ammonium eventually be degraded to a simplified form of nitrogen also?
    or how will it be exported?

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

OK, I'm going to change my mind on this (or how about think about this for a few minutes and maybe do a little research for both you and me). Here's the problem if you use Ammonium Nitrate IMO and why I'm re-thinking myself. Most test kits read Total Ammonia....they don't distinguish between Ammonium and Ammonia. So, in theory (I'm still working through this in my mind), if you dose Ammonium Nitrate, you are going to show dangerous amounts of Ammonia in your tank even when the fish are doing fine. Well, the fish are doing fine so who cares, right??? Well, what if your fish someday are NOT doing well. Your test kit wouldn't be able to tell you if you had Ammonia or not. (BTW, there are several Ammonia Locking products that segregate but do not remove Ammonia and those products also produce a "false-positive" which is why I don't recommend them unless it's late at night, you don't have any saltwater made up and the fish are going to die)