How to increase KH??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Beautemps, Feb 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Beautemps

Beautemps Bristle Worm

Hi,

Haven't tested my KH for a while and today results are:

KH: 1 dkH or 17.9 ppm Kh
    CA: 600+
    NO3: 5
    NO2: 0
    AM: 0
    PH 7.8
    Salinity: 1.025
    Mg: 1800

Please help on how to increase the KH, lower the CA. And the Mg seems high too!!

Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yeah you want dKH at 7 to 12, Ca around 420 and Mg around 1300. You can buy marine buffers that will raise your dKH and will lower your Ca and Mg just by your adding it. Keep testing your Ca and Mg while adding the buffer. Start dosing Ca and Mg when they get below the suggested levels. See what your LFS has to start with.

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Agree... Get a bottle of buffer. I also read not to change it all at once. Gradually raise your Alk some each day to get to your target range.

M

5. Beautemps

Beautemps Bristle Worm

After 30 % WC with NSW.

CA: 440
    NO3: 0 - 5
    NO2: 0
    PH 7.8
    Salinity: 1.025
    Mg: 1620

KH: 1 dkH or 17.9 ppm Kh

The KH didn't change [​IMG] Now I am starting to think that maybe there is something wrong with the test. When using this test the water should turn to green after the first drop if no KH but it turns blue. I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals tests for the Kh. Could it be something wrong with this test or it is just because I have never dosed Kh [​IMG]

I will try to get some buffer tomorrow if I find something...

6. Beautemps

Beautemps Bristle Worm

Would Reef code A and B brightwell work?

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

A and B would be a system for supplementing both Calcium and Alkalinity. Right now, you won't need one of those bottles because you only need to dose Alk. It would be cheaper to use a powder buffer to get Ca and Alk balanced, then use A and B to keep both replenished.

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Kents superbuffer dkh should do it,might be good to start with a low dose so it doesn't precipitate out.

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Advice right now concerning the Alkalinity of your tank would be unwarranted. Something is not adding up. With Cal and Mag dropping after a water change signifying a dilution and displacement, Alk should have changed in proportion. Also, I don't believe DKH will come up as 1. Let LFS test for everything or get another Alk test before you go changing out water (which is never a solution and should only be done in an emergency) to try and rectify a parameter issue.