How to improve coral growth?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Astrick117, Jan 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Ok, so I have a tank with the following corals:

• Devil's Armor Paly's
    • Blue Zoa's
    • Devil's Hand Leather
    • Green Hairy Mushrooms
    • Purple Rhodactis
    • Orange Riccordea
    • Green Star Polyps
    • Palm Tree Polyps
    • Daisy Polyps
    • Duncan

Other than the GHM, the DHL, and Duncan (have been target feeding with mysis) my corals have seen very slow growth. Is there anything I can do to help speed them up?

Right now, I have a dual 39W HOT5 with one 10,000K and one Actinic Bluelight.

Water Params:
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-0
    Water Temp- 78F
    Spec. Gravity- 1.026
    Cal- will supply soon
    Mag- will supply soon
    Alk- will supply soon

Do I need to increase my light output? Can I add some sort of supplemental feeding, such as phytoplankton, zooplankton, etc?

2. Click Here!

3. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

what size is your tank?

do you dose anything?

2 39Watt t5ho's prolly aint cuttin it for coral growth. your lights should be one of the most expencive things you have for your tank.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Consistency with parameters, mostly the big 3 but consistency with all. For me that has always been the most important. Get those levels good and keep them good, all the sudden you will go wow things are growing.

Besides that change out light bulbs routinely on schedule.

The corals listed should not be much of challenge lighting wise, how long are your lights on during the day?

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

10 hours (9am-7pm)

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Its a 46g bowfront. I only dose cal and mag when tested levels are low. It doesn't happen too often though, as my water changes typically bring it back up to the proper levels.

I thought about the lights, but I don't have anywhere to hang a larger fixture and it would overhang my tank in the front because of my HOB filter and protein skimmer

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

^^^Corailline and Bill already answered your questions.

You need to dose every day, even if it's a small amount. Eventually, the water change routine will fail, and it does not lend the consistency your tank needs. It's a reactive solution, not proactive.

As long as you have good bulbs in your current fixture, it should be sufficient for the corals you have.

Consistent water parameters are the biggest issue.

8. Click Here!

9. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I just checked my remaining params- they were low, I dosed a moderate amount, but am going to bring it up slowly (20 ppm per day for mag/ 10ppm per day for cal)

Mag- 1120
    Cal- 400
    dkh- 8.1

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Calcium and alkalinity aren't bad, but Mag should be a bit higher. See what I mean about consistent dosing? It's easier in the long run, and better for your tank.

11. Reefs not Refs

Reefs not Refs Bristle Worm

+1 to the consistent water params.
    Water changes occasionally. And feed once a week or so some sort of coral food. Do some research a lot of good suggestions for food on the forum. GL!

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It's your lighting IMO.

If you are keeping your maintenance routine there is no need for dosing anything with the coral you have.

The only coral I see on your list that would benefit from feeding is the Duncan.

Look into a 36" 6X39 fixture like a Nova Extreme Pro. It's legs will allow clearance for you HOB filter. Use quality bulbs like ATI etc. and you will keep anything you want in that tank. Not to mention see some amazing growth.