how to get zoas to multiply

Discussion in 'Coral' started by dinkanber, Feb 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

i am trying to create a small garden of zoas on this one particular rock.now i have all the frags placed were i want them but is there anyway to make this go faster or help it along.

Attached Files:

• zoa.jpg
      zoa.jpg
      File size:
      162.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

please excuse the cyno.it is being taken care of.Its actully been cut in half in a week

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I haven't had luck with direct feeding. Make sure there is good flow to the zoas and that your water isn't too pristine.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Time is the only thing I am aware of. Be patient and they will eventually multiply.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The guy I purchase my corals from feeds his Zoas regularly and they grow twice as fast as the frags I have purchased from him. As John stated keep a good flow on them.;)

7. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

what does he feed?.I normally just feed the tank a cap full of photoplankton twice a week and once a week i feed a tiny bit of this stuff called robs coral food..Its a blend of all things nasty it seems.Eggs,shrimp,ext..and my fish i feed every other day well rinsed mysis...Is there anything i should target feed the zoas?

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

He uses a variety of foods,Zooplex,Mysis,his own mix of fish squid and clams,and Cyclopeze.:)

10. mcsmike

mcsmike Astrea Snail

Patience, I have heard that moving them around stunts there growth, but once they have been in a spot for some time they take off

11. YankeePete

YankeePete Astrea Snail

The only thing that is proven time and again to help zoas and palys grow faster is time. Then they are happy they will grow. For every thing you hear someone say helps them grow faster there is someone to prove it doesn't.
    When I first started my tank I had 3 polyps of these cool bright yellow zoas. For several months all I had of them was 3 polyps. Then like someone flipped a switch in 6 months they turned into over 100 polyps.

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Make sure they're getting the light they need, too.