How to get rid of This?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by scenario1313, Jul 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

First here is a pic of the entire tank. Second a pic of some kind of red carpet looking algae. Third a pic of very small amount of a green feather to string like algae. The pics are not to good I know but the best I can do for now. There is a pretty good bit of the red stuff but its only on one rock. How do I get rid of it before it becomes a problem. Also the green there is only like 2 or 3 sprigs that you can hardly even see I just want to prevent it from growing if its not supposed to be there. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

BTW this is on some live rock that I bought and I finally got the coralline growing on my Base rock

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

the stuff looks like cynobacteria. It is kinda of half bacteria, the way it reproduces and biologically, but it is also photosynthetic, like algae. It grows very fast. you can try to increase water flow, it the bulbs are old, it could be because of the spectrum they are addmitting is optimal for its growth. You can try to change bulbs if that is the case. You can also try an oxidizer to reduce dissolved organics. I would suck it out right now. that helps temporalily. Not sure what the other stuff is, prob. some sort of macro algae.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

You have some cyno my friend...

Back when I had periodic bouts with it, I did a couple back to back water changes, vacuuming out as much of the algae as I could each time...

Rest disappeared in day or so....

Good Luck! 8)

6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

First you could take some of your existing tank water and place it in 2 small buckets. Pull out the 2 pieces of rock that are affected, and scrub them with a toothbrush in the first bucket of saltwater. Then, rinse them in the second bucket of saltwater before placing them back in the tank. Secondly, do a partial water change. And lastly, you may need to increase the flow in your tank. Did you ever get the Koralia #3's for your 75 gallon tank? This is probably normal algae growth for your new tank, since it's only about 4 weeks old. But, it couldn't hurt to stay ahead of it.

1 person likes this.
  7. scenario1313

the Koralia #3's will be here tomorrow and Boy this stuff does not want to let go I will have to take the rock out and scrub it

8. Click Here!

9. sonicfish

sonicfish Plankton

alright im suffering from cyano too but my bulbs are about 7 months old could this be why cyano is growing and i m talking about the mh bulbs the compact floursent should be fine right

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It looks like all your flow is directed up. Even without the new PH you could move 1 of your MJ to blow across your tank.
    You will have to deal with why and find a solution or it will continue to return
    How long has the tank been running?
    Are you using RO water or just tap water?
    How much food are you feeding

J

11. scenario1313

I have found the source I think and it is my high phosphates. Don't know why I have a high phosphate but I use ro water. Feed once a day (not frozen). New bulbs. Have great flow now. Tank up and running for 2 months now. The only thing I can figure is the phosphate feeding algae but not sure where its coming from.

12. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

Hi, there are some chemicals that you can use , but the best way is doing water change every week and feeding every other day. In a few weeks you will be done with out chemicals.