How to get clownfish to host anemone??

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ancarol99, Jan 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I put rock in there and it liked the rock. I personally did it and had no issues, everyone is happy. I'm sure there are many different ways to do it.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Clown fish develop a coating on their skin that fools the anemone into thinking that the clown fish is not a form of protein, that seems to be the latest theory anyway and seems valid. There is also the theory that clown fish slowly rub the mucous from the anemone and the anemone does not recognize the clown fish as a food source so the anemone does not release nematocyst. Either way the clown has limited exposure to the anemone until the clown develops this protective coating. I have seen carpet anemones take a young clown fish never exposed to an anemone as a meal.

If you take a young clown never before exposed to an anemone and give it no room to slowly acclimate to an anemone you run the risk of that anemone stinging the clown fish to death just as it would any other fish.

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

That's really cool! I never knew that.

Is that why clowns get those little brown spots when they are hosting in a new anomie?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

That is called Hypermelinization, you see it a lot with clowns being stung by corals like euphyllia (torch, hammer, frog spawn). With most clowns it resolves in a few cases it can cause serious issues but that is rare.

1 person likes this.
  6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Oh, nice.

Thanks for the info.

1 person likes this.
  7. jcono

jcono Astrea Snail

It took my clowns 2 months to "like" the anem. I put in- it was very cool when they took to the anem., but soon after the clowns became very aggressive- started a whole 'nother problem...

Let it be and give it time- best advice I can come up with.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

took my 2 perculas 4 months before they decided that my orange BTA was the home for them. im not sure but i think the size of the anemone can play a role, if its 2 small they might not enjoy smothering themselves in it as much

10. ancarol99

ancarol99 Plankton

I'll definetly keep all of that in mind. thanks for the info!

11. hank8888

hank8888 Coral Banded Shrimp