Resolved How to get broken threaded pvc out

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lmr2o, Sep 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I screwed in the old PVC the guy sold with the skimmer.. and it snapped off in the threading!

Can anyone think of a way to get this out..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

o_O It must have already had a hairline crack in it. I really have no clue how you would get that out.

What I would do it take the pump apart(the same way you would in order to take out the venturi) and then buy the replacement part for the pump.

4. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

it's in the skimmer though, not the pump. I don't think it can be taken apart. Definitely not good..:confused:

5. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Its a pain in the arse ...best bet is to take a hammer and a flat head hammer and tap it to the leaft and unscrew it.

Put the flat head on your best spot for traction and tap it with the hammer so it unscrews

1 person likes this.
  6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on Loneracer, I would definitely try flat head screw driver against any raised area of the PVC and try and tap it around

long nosed pliers, put inside the PVC and then forced open so they grip on the inside of the white tube and then turned to unscrew may also work

1 person likes this.
  7. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

do you have a dremmel tool? you can cut a slot on each side and then take something flat and sturdy to fit in the slots to twist it out.

or, you took a male adapter of the next size smaller, sand the threads down so it is a snug fit, cement it in, leave it for 24 hours, and then try to turn it out with a pipe wrench. If the cement holds, you are done. If it doesn't hold you are back where you started.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

^^ Probably your best bet. I'd try either one.

10. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

thanks for the ideas! I have a hammer and screwdriver I will try that out next. The long nose pliers was the first thing I tried but they would not grip the inside of the tube when i opened them.

11. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

don't have a dremel tool, but the smaller sized adapter sounds like its def worth a try, looks like ill be back at lowes tomorrow :p

12. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Used to manage a car wash, and had to use the screwdriver method many, many times. Always worked.