How to fill your R/O jugs without flooding the floor

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by lunatik_69, Aug 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The following video is to show how you can fill up your 5gal R/O jugs without flooding the floor. Alot of us dont have ATO systems and rely on filling up those 5 gal jugs to refill the tank with fresh water that gets evaporated by our aquarium light fixtures. I for one, have flooded my kitchen floor with R/O water many a times, more than I care to admit. I would literally " set it and forget it" and continue with whatever I was doing at the moment. Only to come back in with a small swimming pool in the kicthen. So after being laughed at and called a "loser" by my lovely wife, I came up with this inexpensive and loser-proof solution. The only way that this invention will not work is if there isnt anyone home. The video shows everything you need to make the same concoction. Enjoy the video. Luna

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    9 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

video is on you tube

so I am once again deprived the joy of veiwing

Steve

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

WHY? You cant see youtube videos?

Luna

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Nice and simple idea. great vid..

1 person likes this.
  6. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

Nice idea, I fill mine up in the laundry sink and then set my oven alarm, but this is a great idea for those that have a problem with overfilling. Nice video, great idea!

1 person likes this.
  7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

good idea I have several tanks going so I make my water up in a 35g brute food grade trash can (with power heads) I can not tell you HOW MANY times I have ended up flooding the basement Luckily the basement is not finished, but somehow the powerstrip always gets knocked off onto the floor when it floods (thanks to the cat) Thank goodness I have a GFCI connected to it...

I then have a big sump pump that I place in the trash can with big tubing. I ran the tubing onto the ceiling of the basement, made a hole in the ground by the tank and have stop-valve to control flow. I then simply fill the tank that it is by and have jugs that I will fill at the same time. However I always spill water then also

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm just guessing, but it looks like he's posting from China. The government there imposes all kinds of crazy internet censorship there.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yeah, thats what Steve said, that sucks. Thanks for all the kind comments.

Luna

11. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I installed a float valve at the top of my can. (I use a 32 gallon garbage can). Many many times I would forget, but now I simply as you stated...."set it and forget it!" I got it online for about 9 bucks. I have seen it at home depot and lowes occassionally.

If the float ever fails, then I am up a poop river without any tp...

Nice idea though! K+

1 person likes this.
  12. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

thats brilliant. it's too bad my wife calls me a loser for lots of other reasons...

1 person likes this.