how to feed my anemones?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Atmos, Apr 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Atmos

Atmos Astrea Snail

i have several baby anemones under metal halides in my 90gal, i want to know if i drop miscese shrimp, baby shrimp not sure how to spell it, into their mouths or on their tentacles how much can they eat without dying? i want to fatten them up but i dont want to kill them. i gave them a little bit this morning and they ate it up like they had never eaten before...but thats cause i never hand fed them before.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

im not anemone guy, but based on my few expierence with them i think.
    they wont die form over eating, but they will throw up if you give them too much. i think 4-5 mysis shrimp a piece will be plenty.(remember i said shrimp not cubes.) i dont know if amount of feedings changes with babies anems like with juvi fish

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

What kind of anemones?

5. Atmos

Atmos Astrea Snail

i fed it a big piece of shrimp and it devoured it :D im sooo happy im gonna have a beefy anemone! its a long tentacle one actinia equina anemone from uk. i cant seem to find any information on existing relationships between clownfish and this anemone :(

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I would use frozen krill and fed the anemones directly with it... Make sure you keep water quality good when feeding the anemones frequently...they do add to the bio load contrary to popular belief...

Keep in mind as well that the more often you feed the larger the anemone will expand, putting coral-if you have some-at risk!!

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Let em have more light and less food.
    Only feed maybe one time every other day or so.
    Personally I would feed every other week.
    They will do alot better that way.
    You will find alot of Anemone's that will not host.
    If that is what you are looking for it is better to do research.
    Look's like you are going for a species tank.
    That' would be awesome with Anemone's,
    since you have the space,
    your tank and lighting are great for that type of tank.
    Good Luck.....
    Danny

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you have the proper lighting then there is about as much need to feed them in your tank as it would be for a diver to go feed them in the wild :) they rally do not need to be fed and if you fed the tank any flakes then they will capture all they need to feed on .

10. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

Agree with tangster, no need to feed. A lot of photosynthesis is what you should be feeding nems with, anything else unnecessary. The clownish you probably have hosting will feed it all it needs plus some, if it doesn't have a hosting clown then the floating food will surely feed it some.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i think it depends upon the anemone, if you dont feed a tube anemones you end up with a dead one :)

edit: yes i like to be difficult by bringing up non-photosynthetic anemones. lol

12. Atmos

Atmos Astrea Snail

yeah im not getting tube anemones cause they eat fish :( what id like in my tank is a nice reef with a lot of different corals, anemones, and fish :) i just put in a sandsifting star and my crabs ate chunks out of it im pissed off about that.