How to feed a fungia?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Matt Rogers, May 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey all -
    I was given a fungia a while ago. When I got it it was badly damaged from shipping. I kept it in the tank, it started to recover. Then I changed bulbs and it got zapped for a bit. It looked nearly dead. I almost threw it out. Then I moved it to a slightly shaded area with less flow. Amazingly, it is bouncing back again.

I want to help it with feeding.

I am thinking of using a pipette with mysis shrimp, putting some on its mouth and then putting a class upside over it so my fish don't snag it.

Have you ever fed yours? How did you do it?

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I do it during the night when my fish are mostly unaware - that saves me from having to up-end a glass over it. I use a large syringe with frozen mysis, and slowly release the food near, but not into, the mouth. If you try to inject into the mouth you will damage it. Just release the mysis gradually near the mouth and the tentacles will grab the food and slowly move it toward the mouth on their own. I do this about 2-3 times per week, and that keeps it happy and growing.

1 person likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for info. The tentacles are just starting to show again - should I wait a bit? Color is returning, it is starting to swell again...

5. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Matt I do exactly as you said..i take mysis or brine shrimp in a syringe...pump it over the fungia, then put an upside down glass over top of them, I feed them during the day though because mine like to sleep at night...and i can see when they are done to remove the glass...plus my sixline wrasse hunts at night and would steal em if i put them in at night...doing this a few times a week, my fungia went from this to this over about 4 months

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Mine also eat little chunks of squid too...and they seem to really like it.

7. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I have read that if they do "die" dont just throw them out because that is when they will reproduce and you may get some small fungias appearing on the skeleton of the larger one. That is just what I read on another popular site, but you can always do some research into that.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

if the tentacles are just coming out again i might try some smaller particle food at first like coral freenzy.
    Last night I fed my small one a piece of krill....omg it swallowed it up so fast. It then looked like a swollen glob! It was too funny!

I target feed all my corals with coral freenzy adn then feed my lps with some meatier foods

1 person likes this.
  10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Karma to all - I will try the coral frenzy and go to the others from there. My fungia has a long way to go ... does not look anything like those pics yet - always has been a disc with a mouth... not very fleshy yet.

11. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

How about some photos of your fungia so we can see what it looked like when you got it so we can appreciate it more when you post photos of it all healed and healthy?

I also wanted to post a pic of my fungias.

Attached Files:

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Here you go...
    Light just went on about 30 minutes ago. It will get slightly bigger than this, but this gives you an idea.

Attached Files: