How to cure ich, help!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Destimondia, Mar 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Destimondia

Destimondia Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

my royal gramma has been rubbing himself in the sand and on the rocks, he s been acting weird. I ve had him for 2 weeks and was doing fine so far. I also have 2 nemo fish in the same tank doing fine and a cleaner shrimp doing great. i have 36 gallon. i think he might have white dots

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Mindyv82

Mindyv82 Astrea Snail

I can't tell from the pics if the fish has ich. In my experience the disease progresses pretty quickly and is usually accompanied by rapid breathing, loss of appetite, and the scratching you are describing. If you are seeing even one white cyst on your fish, don't hesitate to treat it. If one fish is infected then remove all fish, whether or not you believe them to be infected, to your quarantine tank for treatment. I personally have had good results treating with copper. Other possible treatments are formilin and hypo-salinity. Keep the fish in the QT for 6 weeks to be sure the disease is eradicated. And always remember to quarantine new additions to your tank.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

i would do hyposalinity, or herbtana before i ever thought of copper. thats a last resort.

1 person likes this.
  6. Destimondia

Destimondia Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well, i had to turn it in to the fish store where they treat that kind of stuff, i'll be setting a quarantine tank soon, so, lets hope all goes well.

7. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

I don't see any evidence of ich from your pictures. It could be something else.