How to convert to planted

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Eli_The_Eel, Mar 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Eli_The_Eel

Eli_The_Eel Fire Worm

Hey there!

I have a 55 gallon FW (it is very tall and thin, about 20x18x30 inches in volume). There is roughly 2.5 square feet of floor space. I already have 2 plants (i don't know what they are, here's some pics)

101_0008.JPG

101_0005.JPG

I would like to create a planted tank with a huge variety of plants. First, I was hoping I could get some answers:

1. Is this practical with the size and shape of my tank?
    2. What kind of lighting would be recommended (assuming the light would need to penetrate about 2.5 feet.)
    3. What kind of substrate should I switch to (do I need to switch?)?
    4. Is a CO2 system necessary?
    5. What kind of CO2 system should I use?
    6. Is there a limit to the amount of plants?

I would like to itemize the costs of these additions so I can figure out where I stand.

If I am going to do this, I want to do it right. I've heard from friends that I need to use R/O water and do very frequent water changes with a lot of plants.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The plants look almost like Amazon Sword plants!
    Unfotunately with the small surface area and substantial height, you will not be able to house to many plants! I like longer, and deeper tanks better, but anyway...
    The type tank you have would be good for Discus' and Angelfish especially!
    I would go with a "Vitalight" or "Growlight" for your plants.
    You could try using the gravel you have right now and as for the carbon reactor, I never owned one and have had some success with live plants without the use of a carbon reactor.
    Do some research on the types of plants as some are better and hardier than others. Amazon Swords and Banana plants are a couple hardy species of live plant.
    Good luck

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You may want to find a smaller size natural gravel ? Like 1 or 2 mm in size and CO's is a must for a really nice planted system.. It cab a simple old Coke bottle with Brewer's yeast as a reaction media to produce the CO'2 or a CO'2 tank and regulator set up .. The smaller natural sand in a must for good root system growth.. To set up a planted system with a good chance to succeeded then you have to do apply certain methods ..
    Thats not to say it can't be done as it can just depends on how well you want to get it done .. As I told someone the other day here a planted F/W system is as beautiful as a reef system.. But they both share the fact that certain needs have to be met to enjoy full success .. The tank size is perfect for a starter system for any F/W system. I'd guess there is now Tons of planted tank info all over the net these days .. Its been many yrs since I have had one to deal with and maybe there are better and simpler ways to build and enjoy a planted system other then what I know about them.. :) So don't totally rely on what I say about what to do..

5. Eli_The_Eel

Eli_The_Eel Fire Worm

The vitalight is sigificantly cheaper, grow light looks nice though. How exactly would I fashion a CO2 diffuser? Do I just run tubing from the can into the bottom of the tank?

6. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I live cube systems like that for plant and reef tanks :D. At 2.5", your first main problems will be lighting (which can be solved by either a MH or PC's). Your second main problem will be heating issues derived from strong lights. Whic can be solved by build i canopy fans / or small chiller unit.

For the CO's questions above. No, do not simply run the tubing into the tank. You want the CO2 to dissolve entirely in the water column, not simply rise to the top. You can have the CO2 run into a small CO2 diffuser you can buy at any lfs, or even build on yourself - very simply and inexpensive. A Rio 600 skimmer powerhead, some silicone, and the extension piece of a siphon hose, and bam, you go yourself a CO2 diffuser.

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I'll try to put up a little sketch of a DIY diffuser.

8. Click Here!

9. painkiller1009

painkiller1009 Plankton

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not sure I follow what the guy is trying to do with the regulator ?

11. nonamehaveI

nonamehaveI Plankton

Have added some input in red, please let me know if I can be of any more help.

12. nonamehaveI

nonamehaveI Plankton

Sorry didn't notice the date on this one. guess you guys don't see alot of freshwater action over here huh?