How to catch a hawkfish...

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by totter0817, Oct 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

So, I came home last night to find nothing but my long nose hawkfish red-handed eating a shrimp. I knew I was missing a couple but just figured they were hiding or died. I know he ate my cleaner because he couldn't even finish the whole thing. He had four little antenas sticking out of his mouth that he couldn't finish. I have some pics to come later-it was actually pretty funny.
    But anyways, I like my shrimp much more than this hawkfish. I have been chasing him around the tank with a net for about an hour now, I'm going to return him to the LFS. Any advice on a quicker and easier way to get ahold of this shrimp eater.

2. Click Here!

3. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

get a car battery and some jumper cables, ground the negative side to the glass of the tank then just toss the red cable in

4. totter0817

I'm not trying to fry my whole tank, I do have other fish in there you know, but thanks anyways...

5. green1_8team

green1_8team Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

you could go under the DIY section and look up how to make a trap...personally have not had to use one so not to sure on how well they work.

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Fish trap may not work for a hawkfish. They seem to be on the "smart" side. I'd give it a shot. If that doesn't work, try a small barbless hook with some bait(I'm being serious). If that doesn't work, tear apart your tank. If that doesn't work, Try Iraf's suggestion.

7. totter0817

I was thinking about the hook thing, I'm trying extremely hard not to tear apart my tank. He does seem pretty smart though. I almost had him a couple times but he's pretty fast when he wants to be.

8. Click Here!

9. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

try some type of container with a trap door, preferably clear so you can see him. then put some tastey treats in there, maybe even feeder shrimp or something he cant resist.

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I would definitely try the trap first. I just see hawkfish as very smart, attentive, and observant. Might take a whole lot of patience. There are some fish that are smarter than the average bear. My chromis for instance, I've sucked them through a siphon tube before doing a water change. They see my hand anywhere near the top of the water and they're on it. I could probably grab them barehanded. My leopord wrasse on the otherhand is a different story. It doesn't even like when I point my camera at the tank.

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Feed him whatever you normally do, but hold it in your hand at the surface. when he comes up to check out the food and has his guard down, get him with the net.

12. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I have caught problem fish with a small hook and I have also used the trap method. The best way to do that is too get yourself a small clear plastic critter cage like for a hermit crab or something I bought mine for $3 at the pet store tie some fishing line to the door so you can pull it up from a little ways away from the tank .put the trap in the tank for a few days before you attemt to trap the fish so the fish will get used to the cage being there you can use a small piece of lr to hold the trap door open . Put some food in the trap ( after a few days of no feeding) and just wait when the fish swims in pull on the line closing the door and dance around the house.