how to care for a naso or blonde tang

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by rlman41299, Aug 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

hi there. i am new to the hobby and had my tank running for about 7 months now. my problem is with the said fish. the naso and blonde tangs. i have lost a total of four of these fishes. first it was a naso that died a couple of days so itried a blonde from another lfs and died after a couple of days also so i went to another lfs and bought a naso and also died a couple of days later. now the last one i bought from aquareef.com and died last night lasted for 20 days. ALL DIED FROM STARVATION! tried feeding them every single thing i can think of. from brine shrimp to mysis to blood worms to dried green and brown algae to even seaweed all soaked in garlic. it is not my water parameters for i have all 0 for amonia nitrites and 10 for nitrates. the rest of my livestock are fine and have other tangs on the tank like blue tang, hippo tang, kole tang, purple tang, sailfin tang and others tangs as well.
    i need help, info and advice on how you guys take care of your naso or blonde tangs. i am on my way out to buy another kind of these two fish and try again. i seems like i cannot keep these two kind of fish. i have no aggressive fish in the also so they are not being stressed out. HELP!!!!:cry:

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

how large is the tank and how long has it been set up for?

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

what size tank are we talking about here?

I see you have quite a few large tangs already . . .

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Well, while I like the euphamism "try, try again" I think you should probably give these fish a break for a while. Either you are not getting healthy specimens or they are too stressed out to eat. What size tank do you have and what other fish do you have in there?

6. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

this is a 135g tank all tangs are less than 4". only the naso and the blonde are around 6" for i have read that it is harder to care for when these fish are less than 6". so they are the bigger ones and all are just juveniles.

7. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

by the way the fisher were not stocked at the same time but one after the other in a span of 3 months. the tank has been up for 7 month with 2 months or cycling.

8. Click Here!

9. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

imo that is way to many tangs for a 135 they are stressed and thats why they wont eat

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

agreed 100%

Sailfin tangs get over 16" in the wild!!! Sounds like you are already past your stocking limit and the fish are too stressed.

Even peaceful tangs will not eat when they are overstressed and have to over compete for space and food.

Especially if all of the rest of the fish are established and eating well - they are not going to welcome the new addition with open arms and the new addition will be so overwhelmed by the presence of the other established fish that it is likely to not be comfortable enough to eat.

Sounds like the rest of what you have is well-established. I would suggest going with the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" adage.

11. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

thanks for all the reply. that was the first thing that came to mind that it is overstocked. but i am in denial and thinking that they are all less than 4" i thought that it was okay to still add the blonde. i will have to try one last time for i love the blond tang. thank you all:cheesy:

12. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

the last blond i have that lasted for 20 days was eating at first but what was odd was it spits it out. guess she was anorexic.::)::)::)::)