How to Automate 2-part dosing?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ManNurseReefer, Dec 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I think its 1.1 ml a min so.... 50 min is 55 ml. which is better for your system... not to "juice" it up right away.

but yea any old timer works fine. Controllers are ideal

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it's not 1.1 a minute like they say. Every pump I have ever timed is different and you have to test them out and plan accordingly.

Also, the analog timers are just by minutes... to keep my params totally stable, I run one of my pumps 63 seconds and the other 47 seconds (I think it is, I'll have to check). That's pretty precise.

When you're dosing daily - once you're dialed in and numbers are on target - it's important to be able to really control the drips, IMO.

For the individual ones, that's probably going to be 3 individual timers as each pump will need its own setting.

The units themselves are the same size from both links (mine and tatted), so picture 2 (or 3) next to each other. The controller piece is the same size as another pump.

One thing to know - this controller works off intervals. For example,
    every 24 hours run pump 1 5 seconds
    every 24 hours run pump 2 63 seconds
    every 24 hours run pump 3 47 seconds (or whatever).

the interval can be down to the minute up to 99 hours 99 minutes and the individual timers can be set from 1 second to something like 99 minutes.

there is a trick though to setting the 24 hour intervals for each pump to be at different times (say 4pm and 4am) so you don't dose alk and ca together.

if you get one, i can fill you in. otherwise, it's a lot of typing and I'm going to bed. PM if interested in those details.

4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Youve tested the brs pumps???

1 person likes this.
  5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  6. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

Cool Paradhil, thanks for the info. I definately like the built in timer and the precise control of that unit.

7. ayjay

ayjay Astrea Snail

not trying to thread jack but it wasn't mentioned in here about the additives themselves... a lot of 2 part additives require that you shake well before using which gives me reason to believe that they settle after a while. do you have to periodically give the containers a good shake or are there specific additives that are best for automatic dosing systems?

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I use BRS pumps, which are fine. But I run mine off my controller. Much better than anything. The setup Predhill has really is a good deal considering it has a built in timer. BRS suggests using a digital timer, but the ones I saw only ran for minutes and there was a limit to how many on/off cycles/day. So you just need to see. Honestly, it's just another reason you should bite the bullet and get a controller.

As far as dosing, Ca can be dosed all at once. I just dose so many minutes in the morning. Alk is different... I dose mine a few minutes every hour all night long to keep PH up. What Predhil is talking about too. So a simple timer can do CA, but Alk is best over time.

I only calibrated tested my pumps when I first got them to get me in the ball park. Now I really don't care what they put out. I only need to add or asubtract a minute here or there. I mean I don't go by amount any more, I just go by minutes.

12. ayjay

ayjay Astrea Snail

That Bubble-Magus BM-TO1 is amazing! that looks like the best deal by far and looks much better than the aquamedic unit and is cheaper. and if you want to run more dosers they have an add-on unit that's only $130 for 4 additional dosers! Dosing Pump

my previous question wasn't answered... what brand additives do you guys use for dosing? as most of the ones at my LFS require that you shake well before adding to the tank which wouldn't work well for a setup that's automated... maybe a paint shaker on a timer? :p