How to attach Zoa frag to LR?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by ANDRU24, Jan 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ANDRU24

ANDRU24 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So I am getting ready to move my Zoa frag to a more permanent location and am not sure how to proceed. I would like to remove the frag from the round plug it's on as I don't think it looks very nice. The Zoa heads themselves seem to be on a smaller more natural looking rock that is then attached to the plug.

Is it easy to remove this from the plug? Do I just sort of pry it off with a knife? Should this be done in the tank, out of the tank?

Once it is off, how do I attach it to the LR? Should I take the frag out of the tank, apply the super glue, then put it back in the tank to attach it to the LR? Or should I take both the frag and the LR out to attach?

Any other suggestions to help me do this successfully? This will be my first attaching of a frag...

Thanks,
    -AJ

pics...

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i would just take a chizzle and lightly try to break them apart from the plug.

1 person likes this.
  4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I use this glue for just about everything. Its great. Luna
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

When you work with Zoanthids, you must be careful. Use gloves, use a separate little bucket or ten gallon tank. When you work with Zoas and frag them, they can release some pretty potent toxins that will affect your tank and you if not careful. The water you use to frag in, throw away immediately. Consider it poison. Dump and rinse.

And superglue is the answer as already stated. The gel may work a little better than the liquid as it has a more suitable viscosity.

1 person likes this.
  6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have also used bridal net to wrap around the rock until softies attach to the rocks.

3 people like this.
  7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

That's a really good idea.

8. Click Here!

9. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Looks like you got your answers - I have also used bridal netting and a rubber band, works well.

Zoanthids after a few months grow very fast, you won't be able to see that plug. So an opition would be to leave the plug. I moved a plug around a few times a long while back, as soon as I saw 2-3 polyps attach to rock I would pull the plug and gently tear the colony leaving the three on the rock. That worked well, I have also taken an empty turbo shell and placed it on the plug snug to the colony and then pulled it away in a month and it was ready to start a new colony that way......

1 person likes this.
  10. ANDRU24

ANDRU24 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I don't really understand the bridal net idea... Are you wrapping the whole frag and LR together under the net? Then just waiting for the Zoa to migrate to the LR?

-AJ

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yep, after a couple of weeks, the zoanthids will have attached themselves to the rock

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

regular ol walmart super glue works great too, much cheaper. everytime I am in at Lowe's I pick up a tube, nice to have around!