How to add new LR to established tank?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Glewis121, Jan 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Glewis121

Glewis121 Astrea Snail

I have a 65 gallon tank with 40 pounds of LR in it currently and i want to add roughly another 40 pounds to do some aquascaping and building it up so i can convert it into a reef tank. Since the tank is already established i cant just add the rock directly whether i buy it cured or uncured.

Buying cured Vs. Uncured?

Is the best way of adding the LR to cure it at my house? what would be the best setup?

Sugestions?

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

hmm when ever i get live rock i just put it in the tank....maybe im wrong but i've never done anything with it other then just stick it in my tank

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

if its going in a tank with living things already in it you should use already cured rock and add in small amounts at a time to prevent a big cycle.

5. LiVEWiRE

LiVEWiRE Plankton

I agree with ziggy222. You want to add it slowly. You can place the rock in a large NEW trash can with a powerhead in it and the saltwater mixed that you use in your tank and then check the parameters of the water like nitrates and such until you know for sure they are all ok and then add the rock to your tank. That way there are no questions.