How old is your aquarium?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. < 6 months

28 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. 6 months - 1 year

16 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. 1 - 2 years old

15 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. 2 -3 years old

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. 4 - 5 years old

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. > 5 years

14 vote(s)
    16.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

:goldfish:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

My 5.5 has been up since right before christmas....

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I put 1-2 years. It'll be 2 years in August. Well that's when I figure it was 100% cycled and I had transfered corals into it. But some of the corals I have in it are 5 plus years old in one of my tanks.

J

5. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

My tank is approx. 5 months old... :) Doing very good right now! :)

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmmm...if my math serves me correct, I think it is just over 3 years...2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008...right? Maybe 3.5...I actually don't remember what month I started...though I joined 3Reef in November, So i doubt it was that far back. ;)

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

6 years old this month!!

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Tank Age

Current tank is upgrade from a 55 gal started in 2002.

Current 125 gallon "All-Glass"

[​IMG]

55 Gallon 2002

[​IMG]

Pretty much all original fish still with me, except hippo which outgrew even the 125.

12 Gallon Nano Started August 2007.
    [​IMG]

All original LR and inverts died out in a Cu disaster in early 2003 (see below)

"Cheap" Pond Pump

[​IMG]

I began this great hobby with a 55 gal tank which I successfully managed to keep up and running for about a year - after making the same dumb mistakes that most all beginners make.

Then I decided it was time to get bigger, so I went out and got a 125 all-glass tank, built stand & canopy, got good skimmer and allot more LR. When time was right I moved all from the 55 to the 125.

Not long after fully stocking the tank with corals and other life, my inverts started to die off, then corals, and eventually my LR all started looking funky. Ammonia and nitrates shot through the roof.

Did some back to back major water changes that did little to make things better.

LFS said to bring in water sample for him to test, and doing so, found the Cu level to be nearly off the charts.

Water should'nt be a problem as I was getting it direct from the Seattle Aquarium...

I tried to fight the problem by doing massive water changes, and a fortune in Cu sponges and poly-filters.

As soon as I got the Cu down, it would be back to lethal levels in a week or so.???

I pulled tank appart more then once looking for a Cu source somewhere inside.

Finally after nearly giving up all, my return pump quit one day. Pulling it appart I discovered it had some brass fittings inside that had corrouded and caused pump to fail.

I had cut corners and tried to save myself some money by buying a cheap pond pump.

Big mistake.

After about 6 mos. I managed to get all the residual Cu out and started all over with new LR, etc. - has been a happy tank since then.

The fish made it thru all this just fine.

So moral is, trying to save money and going "cheap" in beginning, does not always work out for the best down the road.

Scott

PS - only benefit from all this, is that I have never had an ICK problem...

:(

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Well as of tomorrow the 5th of March my tank will be 1 yr old. :balloon::party007::balloon2: Still in the infant stages but will mature in a couple of years. :baby:

11. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

My 180 is a little over two years old and a lot of the rock, sand and fish came out of my 55 gallon which I had set up for 2 or so years.

12. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

To the best of my recollection, we started the is tank in Dec of 2001(it was after 9/11 and we wanted to help keep the local economy going) LMAO so starting our 7th year! My Engineer Goby is one of the originals and I'm pretty sure I've never had another clown either. The damsel and Foxface were bought about a year later. CBS is one of two I had from a way long time ago ;D