How Oftern Do you Perform Water Changes?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by BaxterS80, Jun 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How Often Do you Perform Water Changes

Poll closed Jun 30, 2008.
  1. Once A Week

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Once A Month

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. More then Once A Week

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Never

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK, Brandon, please share your magic water with us ... LOL
    Hey, saw the pics they look great, can you post your tank setup so we can see what works so well.

Cheers

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I change about 10 gallons (out of 55) every 2 weeks. I don't have a sump or fuge, but I'd like to know if I could stretch that out without anything suffering. I'm still recording the amount of Ca and Mag I need to add every other week to keep water parameters up to par. When I get that dialed in, I'll have a better idea on what to replenish and when.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Theres no magic, he just has a good filtration system(refugium), probably a Ca reactor and a Phos reactor too and just doses the rest. Luna

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

weekly in sps tank and every other week on my softie, fish only, and nano. The sps tank is BB so I just do the changes on there to get the detrietus out of my sump.

7. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

every week...sometimes ill skip a week if im lazy or running low on salt.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

If I can give you any advice it would be, have a mixing barrel full of saltwater at all times. Never catch yourself low on salt. This is from experience.

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

LOL sounds funny but I agree completely!! Great way to word it Mission! I have only done 2 water changes in my tank in 5 months, and one wasn't needed. If everything is going good there is absolutely no reason for one IMO (lets not start the arguments again please::), I said IMO!!). Constant water changes to fix algae, nitrates, or any other problem is just band-aids IMO. Find the problem and fix it rather than making it "OK for now," with a water change being close to a last resort.

11. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

I did the first water change (about a year ago) and it seemed to have made the situation worse. I haven't done one since. Everything is great so no need. I do use Seachem phosphate remover, de*nitrate and carbon when needed.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Our water here is not magic ,, Its just filtered just like the water I drink and cook with :) Someone used it to flush or wash with at some point in history I'm sure . I don't think any new water has ever been sent here to the 3rd rock from the sun. I let the microbes and bacterial so what they do and then I used Carbon and a little floss and a fuge for a settling pond and the plants work like the grass over a septic tank..with a skimmer pretty much as all the others do .

I try to keep 55 Gal on hand all the time But unless Amcarrigs buddy comes by for water for his changes it just sets . And every trip he ask whats you secret to this tank ??? Even with the Bryopsis that now seems to be gone Hope Hope ?? Tanks water is perfect..